Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to set up scattering and/or E-Field by nanosphere in 2D axisymmetric model?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I've modeled some scattering and E-Field nanosphere simulations by 3D from mei theory with success, but was wondering if it would be possible to model the same geometry (sphere, radius, etc) in a 2D axisymmetric model?

I've tried this, but it seems I am getting a simplification for a cylindrical object (the simulation I made is attached below), not sphere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eric Cutler

2 Replies Last Post 30 ago 2018, 10:49 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 28 ago 2018, 18:59 GMT-4

Well, I haven't looked at your model, but one issue comes immediately to mind, based on your question: In most cases, for such an approach to work, your problem would need to be axi-symmetric not just in the geometry, but in the computed fields. Is it? If not, you will need to account for the asymmetry analytically, and very very carefully. If you can't do that, then you need to do a 3D treatment. This is more numerically intensive, but you can probably use two planes of symmetry to reduce the size. Good luck.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Well, I haven't looked at your model, but one issue comes immediately to mind, based on your question: In most cases, for such an approach to work, your problem would need to be axi-symmetric not just in the geometry, but in the computed fields. Is it? If not, you will need to account for the asymmetry analytically, and very very carefully. If you can't do that, then you need to do a 3D treatment. This is more numerically intensive, but you can probably use two planes of symmetry to reduce the size. Good luck.

Posted: 6 years ago 30 ago 2018, 10:49 GMT-4

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the feedback, I believe I have it set up as to have it axi-symmetric in the computed fields. It seems the incident E-Field is induced along the center to make it axi-symmetric too.

However, in the future I do want to make complex shapes that are not axi-symmetric, so I'll keep your comments in mind when I reach that stage.

Regards, Eric Cutler

Hi Robert, Thanks for the feedback, I believe I have it set up as to have it axi-symmetric in the computed fields. It seems the incident E-Field is induced along the center to make it axi-symmetric too. However, in the future I do want to make complex shapes that are not axi-symmetric, so I'll keep your comments in mind when I reach that stage. Regards, Eric Cutler

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.