Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Steady state Vs Transient problem in Shell model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,
I have simulated a resistive heater model (1200um x 80000um; width of heating element- 50 um) and used the shell model approximation by coupling 'Electric current, Shell' and 'Conjugate heat transfer' physics to incorporate the joule heating effect.

I have done the steady state analysis wherein I have obtained a temp of 293.16K compared to the normal temp of 293.15K i.e. an increment of just 0.01K with a fluid flow and i/p voltage of 1V. However, transient analysis of the same for 0.02s gave a max temp of about 45000K with the same flow. I would like to know why their is such a huge temperature difference coming up?

The range settings for transient analysis for 0.02s were- range (0, 0.001,0.02) and it took about 12.5 hrs to compute. Here the convergence plot showed saturation after about 100 time steps corresponding to 0.005 sec. Thus I had also set a diff settings of range (0, 0.0005,0.005) which took about 5 hrs to compute. In none of the cases the graph plot for temperature vs time is saturating although the convergence plot showed a saturation value. Hence I think the it needs to solve for a greater time for the transient analysis to complete. However it is taking quiet a long time to do so. I shall be highly obliged if anyone can kindly help me with the above problem to solve the above temerature ambiguity and longer solution time.

Looking forward for your help,
Thanks,
Debashis

0 Replies Last Post 29 lug 2011, 08:24 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello DEBASHIS MAJI

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.