Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Subdomain or Boundary Conditions?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm using the heat transfer module to simulate the Temperature distribution over a substrate, but i don't get the expected results unless i apply the heat source on all boundaries and i get different results when i apply it on the subdomain as a whole.

My question is : if i ignore th Sub-Domain Settings and put the Q = 0 does using the boundary settings tells the sovler to Ignore the general heat equation and solve only according to that equation shown in the boundary settings?

Because then i don't think my simulation will be valid as i'm supposed to simulating for the general heat transfer PDE.

Thanks

1 Reply Last Post 14 ago 2011, 04:08 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 ago 2011, 04:08 GMT-4
Hi

It is not obvious to understand fully your issue there, if you apply a heat source (positive or negative) to ALL boundaries, for me you have a system "running away", except if your balance of heat in/out is perfectly balanced AND there is no numrical noise (with is only a theoretical possibility). For me you need at leas one defind "constant" temperature boundary, so that the system might adapt the heat flux to get the system to an energy equilibrium

It's like in structural, you need to fix 6 DoF (in 3D) to have the structure stable somewhere, then you can see the deformations. This means that COMSOL might adapt the reaction forces and moments on these boundaries to get a stable energy balance

But I might have misunderstod your explanations too ;)

Another suggestion: use if possible v4.2, latest patch: it is far more stable than the early 4 versions, and is now far more advanced than 3.5, "mais j'admet que les goûts et les couleurs sont des sujet délicats" ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi It is not obvious to understand fully your issue there, if you apply a heat source (positive or negative) to ALL boundaries, for me you have a system "running away", except if your balance of heat in/out is perfectly balanced AND there is no numrical noise (with is only a theoretical possibility). For me you need at leas one defind "constant" temperature boundary, so that the system might adapt the heat flux to get the system to an energy equilibrium It's like in structural, you need to fix 6 DoF (in 3D) to have the structure stable somewhere, then you can see the deformations. This means that COMSOL might adapt the reaction forces and moments on these boundaries to get a stable energy balance But I might have misunderstod your explanations too ;) Another suggestion: use if possible v4.2, latest patch: it is far more stable than the early 4 versions, and is now far more advanced than 3.5, "mais j'admet que les goûts et les couleurs sont des sujet délicats" ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.