Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Trying to fix the "Inconsistent Units" problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I'm trying to simulate the Fitzhugh-Nagumo model of neurons on COMSOL 5.3a, exactly as it was done in the article "3D-Simulation of Action Potential Propagation in a Squid Giant Axon" by Appali et al. I'm trying to put in the equation for numerical flux for Equation 1 (Equation 4 in the article) as shown below:

In which I assumed the upper triangle operator is the Laplacian, hence I put in the following in the General Form PDE Interface: u1xx+u1yy+u1zz+(alpha-u1)(u1-1)u1-u2+I

& I get Inconsistent Units problem. I set the units for u1 & u2 to be Volts (V).

1 Reply Last Post 10 gen 2019, 08:43 GMT-5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago 10 gen 2019, 08:43 GMT-5
Updated: 6 years ago 10 gen 2019, 09:39 GMT-5

Hello Yuen,

Indeed, the formula you give is not consistent: the laplacian of u has dimensions of voltage divided by length squared, the second term has dimensions of voltage cubed (well, kinda: the second part of it substracts a scalar from a voltage) and the remaining terms have dimensions of voltage.

See this other thread for a bit more of a discussion on when you can safely ignore such warnings. Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Yuen, Indeed, the formula you give is not consistent: the laplacian of u has dimensions of voltage divided by length squared, the second term has dimensions of voltage cubed (well, kinda: the second part of it substracts a scalar from a voltage) and the remaining terms have dimensions of voltage. See [this other thread](https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/220402/mathematics-and-pde?last=2018-12-19T13:46:05Z) for a bit more of a discussion on when you can safely ignore such warnings. Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.