Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to displace each meshed nodes in Comsol with different displacement values?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a displacement and stress output of a stiffened panel solid model from other FEM package (Ab..q..s) . It is not possible to generate this model geometry in Comsol alone due to sophisticated boundary condition, sub modelling feature and fabrication initial imperfection.

I would like to export these solid meshes to comsol, then displace all the nodes to the same value as displacement outputs I got from the other FE package, so that I will get the same strees profile. I need these stresses value in all nodes to couple with other physics in Comsol.

Please do you know how to displace each mesh nodes to the same value as displacement outputs I got from other FE package in comsol? Is Comsol capable on doing this?

Your answer is very appreciated. Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post 31 mag 2019, 03:48 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago 31 mag 2019, 03:48 GMT-4

Hi,

You can use an interpolation function, where you use each node's coordinates as the (x,y,z) columns. The interpolation function is then referenced from a Prescribed Displacements node.

However, it may still be easier to do the entire analysis in COMSOL. The things that you mention do not seem like they should be blockers.

• Sophisticated BCs should be easier in COMSOL
  • Submodelling should be equally easy in COMSOL
  • Modelling the initial imperfection is probably trickier, but not impossible. How to do it is however not clear, that would depends on how they are specified. If it is nodewise values, you will have the same kind of issue as in your original question.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, You can use an interpolation function, where you use each node's coordinates as the (x,y,z) columns. The interpolation function is then referenced from a Prescribed Displacements node. However, it may still be easier to do the entire analysis in COMSOL. The things that you mention do not seem like they should be blockers. * Sophisticated BCs should be easier in COMSOL * Submodelling should be equally easy in COMSOL * Modelling the initial imperfection is probably trickier, but not impossible. How to do it is however not clear, that would depends on how they are specified. If it is nodewise values, you will have the same kind of issue as in your original question. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.