Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Buoyancy--simulating contamination of a buildings ventilation air intake by its exhaust air

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all, I am trying to model a cross section of vertically aligned ventilation ports on the ouside of a building. I am using a 2D domain to represent this outside space where an inlet delivers warm air (a buildings exhaust air), and an outlet pulls air (a buildings fresh air intake) through an insulated wall (the wall of the building). Also in the model I have left two walls as open boundaries (since this space is open to the environment). At some point I would like to parameterize the geometry of the ports to optimize them against contamination (particle tracing?)... but I am not there yet. I am new to COMSOL and could use some help in just figuring out how to set up the file I attached, the error I recieve is a failure to converge. And beyond that, I am not sure how to set the temperature of the inlet, nor how to set up temperature dependent buoyancy. If anyone could give me feedback on the file, or share tips on achieving convergence that would be great--I am new to comsol so no suggestion is too simple! Thank you, R.

1 Reply Last Post 24 ott 2019, 18:45 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago 24 ott 2019, 18:45 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 24 ott 2019, 14:45 GMT-4

Well, I figured out why the simulation wouldn't converge (one of several reasons most likely)... I was trying to model turbulent flow with the laminar cfd physics (I only have access to the classkit license at my university). I still havn't figured out how to set the temperature of an inlet air flow, has anyone figured out how to do that?

Well, I figured out why the simulation wouldn't converge (one of several reasons most likely)... I was trying to model turbulent flow with the laminar cfd physics (I only have access to the classkit license at my university). I still havn't figured out how to set the temperature of an inlet air flow, has anyone figured out how to do that?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.