Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

round tube into square tube

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I need to make a connection between a round tube and a square tube (with rounded corners).

I've got a cad design but there he is taking to much surfaces into account or is simply deforming the design.

So I'm trying to draw myself the system.

How can I say to comsol that he needs to make the connection between the round tube and square tube?

3 Replies Last Post 4 dic 2015, 10:31 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 dic 2011, 09:45 GMT-5
Hi

the easiest is probably to intersect the scare with a filleted conical shape, much as a pencil tip going from a hexagon (and not a square but that is the same) via a cone then to a cylinder with perhaps a fillet junction, this should work even if the cylinder is larger than the rectangle or vice versa, but it assumes you have a common axis

Hope it's clear ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the easiest is probably to intersect the scare with a filleted conical shape, much as a pencil tip going from a hexagon (and not a square but that is the same) via a cone then to a cylinder with perhaps a fillet junction, this should work even if the cylinder is larger than the rectangle or vice versa, but it assumes you have a common axis Hope it's clear ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 dic 2011, 10:20 GMT-5
Hi Ivar,

I tried somethings but I didn't manage to complete it.
A cone could be set up on the cilinder.
But how can I change the upper surface of the cone (I tried intersection but this must be done in a workplane? how can I get the two surfaces in the same workplane?)
I only capable of having a round cone.

Can I extrude the square surface into a round surface over a certain distance?
Hi Ivar, I tried somethings but I didn't manage to complete it. A cone could be set up on the cilinder. But how can I change the upper surface of the cone (I tried intersection but this must be done in a workplane? how can I get the two surfaces in the same workplane?) I only capable of having a round cone. Can I extrude the square surface into a round surface over a certain distance?

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 4 dic 2015, 10:31 GMT-5
The Design Module (which did not exist when this thread was started) includes, among other things, two capabilities that makes creating this geometry a cinch:
- 3D filleting
- Lofting
I am attaching a screenshot illustrating those capabilities on your geometry.
Best,
Jeff
The Design Module (which did not exist when this thread was started) includes, among other things, two capabilities that makes creating this geometry a cinch: - 3D filleting - Lofting I am attaching a screenshot illustrating those capabilities on your geometry. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.