Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Different temperature results for 2D and 3D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have an object that is cooling down due to heat flux. As I understand it, when only a 2D object is modeled, COMSOL takes a default depth of 1m for proper calculation of ie density and heat flux parameters. However, when I take the same object with the same parameters and material properties, but this time do it in 3D with 1m depth, my time dependent study gives me different (/decreased) temperature changes than in 2D.

What am I missing?

4 Replies Last Post 11 gen 2020, 14:10 GMT-5
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 years ago 11 gen 2020, 10:16 GMT-5

Andreas,

are the boundary conditions at the end faces equivalent in 2D and 3D?

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Andreas, are the boundary conditions at the end faces equivalent in 2D and 3D? Cheers Edgar

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 years ago 11 gen 2020, 12:45 GMT-5

In 2D you are modeling a medium infinitely thick in the z direction. Any volume-dependent quantity is calculated for a 1 m section of the infinitely thick medium. There is no heat flux in the z direction.

In 3D there can be heat loss (gain) on the front and back (+z and -z) faces. The problems are not equivalent.

In 2D you are modeling a medium infinitely thick in the z direction. Any volume-dependent quantity is calculated for a 1 m section of the infinitely thick medium. There is no heat flux in the z direction. In 3D there can be heat loss (gain) on the front and back (+z and -z) faces. The problems are not equivalent.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 years ago 11 gen 2020, 13:21 GMT-5

Thermal insulation at the front and back face can make 3D equivalent to 2D if the other BC are chosen appropriately.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Thermal insulation at the front and back face can make 3D equivalent to 2D if the other BC are chosen appropriately.

Posted: 5 years ago 11 gen 2020, 14:10 GMT-5

Yes there is thermal insulation at the front and back face.

So assuming all the boundary conditions are the same, there should be exactly the same result? Although I think the boundary conditions are equal, there probably is a mistake in there somewhere.

Thanks for your help.

>Thermal insulation at the front and back face can make 3D equivalent to 2D if the other BC are chosen appropriately. Yes there is thermal insulation at the front and back face. So assuming all the boundary conditions are the same, there should be exactly the same result? Although I think the boundary conditions are equal, there probably is a mistake in there somewhere. Thanks for your help.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.