Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How can I render a boundary acoustically invisible?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have setup a geometry on comsol to investigate the transient behaviour of waves incident to it. I have modelled this by importing the geometry to comsol, surrounding it by a sphere and inserted a block to use as a plane wave radiation source that will be incident to one of the boundaries of the imported geometry.

I have set the boundaries of the geometry imported to sound hard, the sphere to exterior field calculation (which I think is the new name for perfectly matched layer) to avoid reflections. Set on of the boundaries of the block to plane wave radiation incident to the geometry opening.

The geometry opening consists of boundaries which I have assigned to sound soft boundary. Now the problem is that sound soft boundary reduces all incident pressure to 0 so I am never getting waves to enter the geometry. What boundary condtion should I assigned to this boundary in order to get waves to enter the imported geometry?

I have attached the project in order to understand better what I am talking about.

13 Replies Last Post 3 feb 2020, 16:14 GMT-5
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago 1 feb 2020, 04:13 GMT-5

Mark,

I guess no specific BC are required. Just assign suitable material properties and COMSOL will take care of continuity.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Mark, I guess no specific BC are required. Just assign suitable material properties and COMSOL will take care of continuity. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 4 years ago 3 feb 2020, 01:08 GMT-5

Hi, thank you for you reply. The thing is that when I added the physics (Pressure Acoustics, Transient), the boundaries I mentioned are assigned to sound hard boundaries by default and COMSOL does not let me disassign this boundary condition (remove form selectio button is greyed out). The only way I could remove it from sound hard boundary is by assigned it to another boundary type.

Hi, thank you for you reply. The thing is that when I added the physics (Pressure Acoustics, Transient), the boundaries I mentioned are assigned to sound hard boundaries by default and COMSOL does not let me disassign this boundary condition (remove form selectio button is greyed out). The only way I could remove it from sound hard boundary is by assigned it to another boundary type.

Posted: 4 years ago 3 feb 2020, 03:59 GMT-5

Something might be wrong in the geometry sequence or not everything is included in the physics. Difficult to say without seeing the model.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Something might be wrong in the geometry sequence or not everything is included in the physics. Difficult to say without seeing the model.

Posted: 4 years ago 3 feb 2020, 05:53 GMT-5
Updated: 4 years ago 3 feb 2020, 10:44 GMT-5

Hi, I have attached it.

Hi, I have attached it.

Posted: 4 years ago 3 feb 2020, 07:55 GMT-5

Please attach an .mph file. I don't have the time to assemble 10 archives!

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Please attach an .mph file. I don't have the time to assemble 10 archives!

Posted: 4 years ago 3 feb 2020, 07:58 GMT-5

You only have to extract one file only by putting all files in the same folder... I couldn't upload the .mph file as it is larger the 5mb.

You only have to extract one file only by putting all files in the same folder... I couldn't upload the .mph file as it is larger the 5mb.

Posted: 4 years ago 3 feb 2020, 08:05 GMT-5

You can clear solutions and mesh.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
You can clear solutions and mesh.

Posted: 4 years ago 3 feb 2020, 08:36 GMT-5
Updated: 4 years ago 3 feb 2020, 16:15 GMT-5

You are right. Totally forgot about that.

You are right. Totally forgot about that.

Posted: 4 years ago 3 feb 2020, 12:04 GMT-5

Mark,

only the spherical domain is included in Pressure Acoustics. Add all domains and those inner boundaries on the geometry import get continuous.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Mark, only the spherical domain is included in Pressure Acoustics. Add all domains and those inner boundaries on the geometry import get continuous. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 4 years ago 3 feb 2020, 15:00 GMT-5

Hi Edgar,

That seems to help but I am still struggling in getting the two geometires to interact.

I basically need to define the boundaries were continutity occurs. Do I need to set up boundary paris? How is that done?

Mark

Hi Edgar, That seems to help but I am still struggling in getting the two geometires to interact. I basically need to define the boundaries were continutity occurs. Do I need to set up boundary paris? How is that done? Mark

Posted: 4 years ago 3 feb 2020, 15:19 GMT-5

You shouldn't need pairs because the geometry is a union. You have to skip those internal sound soft boundaries of course.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
You shouldn't need pairs because the geometry is a union. You have to skip those internal sound soft boundaries of course.

Posted: 4 years ago 3 feb 2020, 16:02 GMT-5

Hi Edgar,

I think I managed to model it as I needed.

I used an identity pair which paired the boundary at the interface to all the other boundaries.

I set up an interior sound hard boundary. I selected the rest (i.e. excluding the interface) of the internal geometry boundaries.

That did the trick.

Thanks for your help

Mark

Hi Edgar, I think I managed to model it as I needed. I used an identity pair which paired the boundary at the interface to all the other boundaries. I set up an interior sound hard boundary. I selected the rest (i.e. excluding the interface) of the internal geometry boundaries. That did the trick. Thanks for your help Mark

Posted: 4 years ago 3 feb 2020, 16:14 GMT-5

You are welcome.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
You are welcome.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.