Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Piezoelectric Simulation (pzd) in comsol 4p2 for FBAR filter

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

There is a parameter in COMSOL 4.2, in piezoelectric simulation, pzd.Y11 which gives you input impedance if you simulate a one port device. I think this correspnds to Y11 parameter of Y matrix. I am simulating a 2 port device (filter) and need to get Y21 and Y11 parameter to be able to calculate S parameters (Y12 and Y11 is not necessary since it is symmetric and reciprocal). I couldnt see pzd.Y21 parameter in the tutorial or help, but when I defined it as variable, it looks it is working if I set the voltage of the terminal 2 as 0 V. When I set the voltage of the second terminal different from 0 V comsol cannot calculate pzd.Y21 parameter, which makes sense to me. I believe that is correct but would like to verify with someone else if anyone tried using such a paramater.

Thanks for the help!

Seyit

2 Replies Last Post 13 dic 2013, 12:08 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Seyit Sis

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 mar 2012, 12:18 GMT-4
Hi,
I am having the same issue but I don't understand why COMSOL cannot calculate pzd.Y21 when let's say I apply -1 V to terminal 2. I am trying to design a differential filter in a way that I apply Vin+ Vin- for the input ports and get Vout+ and Vout- for the outputs. I was also doing two port designs based on piezoelectric actuation before but was not quite sure if the simulation was correct or not.

To get pzd.Y21 and complete the S matric what should I do? Should I move to RF module?

Thanks,
Serkan
Hi, I am having the same issue but I don't understand why COMSOL cannot calculate pzd.Y21 when let's say I apply -1 V to terminal 2. I am trying to design a differential filter in a way that I apply Vin+ Vin- for the input ports and get Vout+ and Vout- for the outputs. I was also doing two port designs based on piezoelectric actuation before but was not quite sure if the simulation was correct or not. To get pzd.Y21 and complete the S matric what should I do? Should I move to RF module? Thanks, Serkan

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 dic 2013, 12:08 GMT-5
Hello Seyit,

I am having the same problem: I would like to do a frequency domain analysis with a two port resonator. I was wondering if you could be a bit more specific on how you defined Y21 on your second port. Did you simply integrate over the surface 2*pi*freq*pzd.nD under global evaluation?
Thank you for bringing this up.

Richard
Hello Seyit, I am having the same problem: I would like to do a frequency domain analysis with a two port resonator. I was wondering if you could be a bit more specific on how you defined Y21 on your second port. Did you simply integrate over the surface 2*pi*freq*pzd.nD under global evaluation? Thank you for bringing this up. Richard

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.