Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Surface-to-Surface Radiation

Наталия Леониловна Негара

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello! Tell me please different between boundary conditions: heat flux and external radiation source. I have two COMSOL project with thermal analysis: 1) Heat Transfer in Solids; 2) Heat Transfer With Surface-to-Surface Radiation. In both cases, the geometry (solid cube) and mesh are the same. In the first case my model has boundary conditions as heat flux on one side: 1000 W/m^2. In the second case my model (solid cube too) has boundary conditions on one side as external radiation source - infinite distance - posotion Y (-1) - Source Heat Flux: 1000 W/m^2 too. In the both analysis a Surface Emessivity is 0.6 on all outer sides of cube. Study: Stationary. As a result, the calculation results: temperatures, are differ from each other. Why?!!! I thought I would get the same results. What is the reason for this difference? Thank tou

1 Reply Last Post 18 apr 2020, 12:04 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 18 apr 2020, 12:04 GMT-4

Hi,

There might be difference in the material in both cases. Did you set the boundaries differently, such as thermal insulation / emissivity? You can check if all other conditions are exaclty the same.

I am confused that when I add External Radiation Source it does not seem to work. When I disable that External Radiation Source the result does not change. Is there anything that I have missed?

Hi, There might be difference in the material in both cases. Did you set the boundaries differently, such as thermal insulation / emissivity? You can check if all other conditions are exaclty the same. I am confused that when I add External Radiation Source it does not seem to work. When I disable that External Radiation Source the result does not change. Is there anything that I have missed?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.