Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

conversion from 2D to 3D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hello,
I am building a 'comb drive' model, in the 'electrostatics' division of the 'AC/DC module' in COMSOL 4.2. I need to 'extrude' a 2D model into a 3D one. How do i do that?

Thank you

12 Replies Last Post 8 giu 2015, 16:14 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 gen 2012, 08:06 GMT-5
Hi
if you have drawn everything in 2D you need to save it as a COMSOL geometrical phile, then open a 3D model, define a workplane, import the 2D and then extrude.

In the latest 4.2a you might already be able to add a 2nd 3D model to your current one and copy past the geoemtry into a workplane in the 3D model, then extrude the workplane from there

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you have drawn everything in 2D you need to save it as a COMSOL geometrical phile, then open a 3D model, define a workplane, import the 2D and then extrude. In the latest 4.2a you might already be able to add a 2nd 3D model to your current one and copy past the geoemtry into a workplane in the 3D model, then extrude the workplane from there -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 gen 2012, 09:29 GMT-5
hi,
when i try to save the 2D model, i am able to save it in only one format, which is the " COMSOL Mulltiphysics model file (.mph)". how do i save the 2D model in a "COMSOL geometrical file" ?

Thank you
hi, when i try to save the 2D model, i am able to save it in only one format, which is the " COMSOL Mulltiphysics model file (.mph)". how do i save the 2D model in a "COMSOL geometrical file" ? Thank you

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 gen 2012, 11:18 GMT-5
Hi

sorry that is the file format I was thinking of. A comsol generated geometry can only be saved in COMSOL format

But I'm astonished that I can only import a "mph" and not a "mphbin" into a workplane

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi sorry that is the file format I was thinking of. A comsol generated geometry can only be saved in COMSOL format But I'm astonished that I can only import a "mph" and not a "mphbin" into a workplane -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 feb 2012, 06:38 GMT-5
hi,

I did try to save a file in 'mphbin' format, changig the extension. However, to my surprise, when i tried to import it, It was saved in 'mph' format itself!.

would you please help me in proceeding with this problem?

thank you
Malavika
hi, I did try to save a file in 'mphbin' format, changig the extension. However, to my surprise, when i tried to import it, It was saved in 'mph' format itself!. would you please help me in proceeding with this problem? thank you Malavika

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 feb 2012, 07:43 GMT-5
Hi

you should not rename the file extensions as that is coded with the type of content.

I checked it again:

In 2D you can right click on the Geometry and export the file as mphbin, mphtxt and dxf, all three work for a COMSOL build geoemtry in 2D

In your 3D generate a workplane oriented as you want it, select the Workplane - Geometry and addan import subnode, here you can select either of the 3 formats above all 3 work

That should do it, no or have I amissed something ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you should not rename the file extensions as that is coded with the type of content. I checked it again: In 2D you can right click on the Geometry and export the file as mphbin, mphtxt and dxf, all three work for a COMSOL build geoemtry in 2D In your 3D generate a workplane oriented as you want it, select the Workplane - Geometry and addan import subnode, here you can select either of the 3 formats above all 3 work That should do it, no or have I amissed something ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 feb 2012, 08:06 GMT-5
hello,
I followed the steps you told. I saved the file in 'mphbin' format.
When i tried to import it in the 3D workspace. An error occured stating that
" cannot import a 2D geometry into a 3D sequence".
I also tried to change the orientation from x-y-z plane to x-y plane, thinking that it would make a difference!..but it dint!

thank you
Malavika
hello, I followed the steps you told. I saved the file in 'mphbin' format. When i tried to import it in the 3D workspace. An error occured stating that " cannot import a 2D geometry into a 3D sequence". I also tried to change the orientation from x-y-z plane to x-y plane, thinking that it would make a difference!..but it dint! thank you Malavika

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 feb 2012, 09:44 GMT-5
Hello

you missed the operation in the 3D add FIRST a workplane node, then select the Workplane Geometry node and add an import here, your are at this level in 2D

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hello you missed the operation in the 3D add FIRST a workplane node, then select the Workplane Geometry node and add an import here, your are at this level in 2D -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 feb 2012, 10:35 GMT-5
hello,
I was able to import the file from all the 3 formats. But how can i provide the third dimension to the 2D object I have imported?

Thank you

Malavika
hello, I was able to import the file from all the 3 formats. But how can i provide the third dimension to the 2D object I have imported? Thank you Malavika

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 feb 2012, 12:45 GMT-5
Hi

if you need to extrude or rotate a 2D into a 3D then you need to first open a new 3D comsol, in the Geometry section add a Workplane and under the workplane Geoemtry (that is a 2D geometry) you import your 2D COMSOL or dxf or ... file format). Then you extrude or rotate the workplane

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you need to extrude or rotate a 2D into a 3D then you need to first open a new 3D comsol, in the Geometry section add a Workplane and under the workplane Geoemtry (that is a 2D geometry) you import your 2D COMSOL or dxf or ... file format). Then you extrude or rotate the workplane -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 ago 2013, 12:38 GMT-4
Hi Ivar,
I am trying extrude my 2D model into 3D, but it extrudes entire geometry. I want to extrude some parts of my geometry to 3D, more specifically i want to extrude different parts at different distances. And some of them are even not parallel to workplane. Any suggestions what options can be helpful regarding this??
Thanks
Umar
Hi Ivar, I am trying extrude my 2D model into 3D, but it extrudes entire geometry. I want to extrude some parts of my geometry to 3D, more specifically i want to extrude different parts at different distances. And some of them are even not parallel to workplane. Any suggestions what options can be helpful regarding this?? Thanks Umar

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 ago 2013, 15:51 GMT-4
Hi,
Regarding my previous message, first i have drawn geometry in 2D which is attached with file name geometry-1. Top view of my geometry should look like file name Endblock V2.2_dft_a. I tried using extrude option which looks like 3D cell. I have not experience with 3D structures, please ignore my incompetency on that matter. Any suggestion or help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Umar
Hi, Regarding my previous message, first i have drawn geometry in 2D which is attached with file name geometry-1. Top view of my geometry should look like file name Endblock V2.2_dft_a. I tried using extrude option which looks like 3D cell. I have not experience with 3D structures, please ignore my incompetency on that matter. Any suggestion or help will be highly appreciated. Thanks Umar

Posted: 9 years ago 8 giu 2015, 16:14 GMT-4
can u please tell me what is a work plane node..
i have the same problem as malavika...
can u please tell me what is a work plane node.. i have the same problem as malavika...

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.