Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

out of memory

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All, I am using the COMSOL 5.5, and I think the simulation is able to finish its tasks, unfortunately, the plots are not able to show up, whenever I tried to plot the results, the error will pop up as "out of memory", I also attached the error log file, and any help from anyone will be very thankful.
sincerely, Li

6 Replies Last Post 10 mag 2020, 19:35 GMT-4

Posted: 4 years ago 6 mag 2020, 10:41 GMT-4

Hi Cooper,

This all depends on the type of plot you are plotting, but there are a few options you could try. I believe you are getting this error because Comsol is doing too many computations to make your plot look better, such as refinement and smoothing. Assuming you are trying to plot a surface or volume plot, you can change its settings under the Quality tab. Try changing the Refinement to "No refinement", Smoothing to "None" and Recover to "off". This will most probably make your plots look uglier, but hopefully it will solve the error.

Let me know if this works,

Alex

Hi Cooper, This all depends on the type of plot you are plotting, but there are a few options you could try. I believe you are getting this error because Comsol is doing too many computations to make your plot look better, such as refinement and smoothing. Assuming you are trying to plot a surface or volume plot, you can change its settings under the Quality tab. Try changing the Refinement to "No refinement", Smoothing to "None" and Recover to "off". This will most probably make your plots look uglier, but hopefully it will solve the error. Let me know if this works, Alex

Posted: 4 years ago 7 mag 2020, 00:15 GMT-4
Updated: 4 years ago 7 mag 2020, 00:27 GMT-4

Hi Alex,

I tried but I could not find where is the quality tab as you mentioned, I think the quality tab is supposed to be underneath the coloring and style tab, while it is only legend tab and nothing else. if you do not mind, could you show me a screen shot about how to do it? thanks a lot for your help.

Li

Hi Alex, I tried but I could not find where is the quality tab as you mentioned, I think the quality tab is supposed to be underneath the coloring and style tab, while it is only legend tab and nothing else. if you do not mind, could you show me a screen shot about how to do it? thanks a lot for your help. Li

Posted: 4 years ago 7 mag 2020, 11:53 GMT-4

Hi Li,

This all depends on the type of plot you are looking at. Some plots don't have the Quality tab, so this might be the case here. In any case, you are right that the quality tab should generally be under the Coloring and Style tab, as shown in the attached screenshot. If you do not have a quality tab, then this is probably not the issue here...

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Li, This all depends on the type of plot you are looking at. Some plots don't have the Quality tab, so this might be the case here. In any case, you are right that the quality tab should generally be under the Coloring and Style tab, as shown in the attached screenshot. If you do not have a quality tab, then this is probably not the issue here... Cheers, Alex

Posted: 4 years ago 7 mag 2020, 13:38 GMT-4

Hi Alex,

I found the quality tab, unfortunately, most of the settings are missing under the quality tab. as shown in the attached figure, do you have any idea why the quality tab in my COMSOL is not complete?

Li

Hi Alex, I found the quality tab, unfortunately, most of the settings are missing under the quality tab. as shown in the attached figure, do you have any idea why the quality tab in my COMSOL is not complete? Li

Posted: 4 years ago 7 mag 2020, 14:18 GMT-4

Hi Li,

The reason you are not seeing all the options is that you are plotting a Cut Point 2D dataset. The other options spatially smooth the data and its derivatives. Since you are only plotting one point, there is no spatial smoothing to do. The only option is refinement, which means that more points will be evaluated.

Unfortunately, the solution I proposed will therefore not work, since your refinement is set to the lowest amount of 1. I am not sure what else you could try without seeing your model though...

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Li, The reason you are not seeing all the options is that you are plotting a Cut Point 2D dataset. The other options spatially smooth the data and its derivatives. Since you are only plotting one point, there is no spatial smoothing to do. The only option is refinement, which means that more points will be evaluated. Unfortunately, the solution I proposed will therefore not work, since your refinement is set to the lowest amount of 1. I am not sure what else you could try without seeing your model though... Cheers, Alex

Posted: 4 years ago 10 mag 2020, 19:35 GMT-4

Hi Alex,

if you do not mind, you could take a look at my mph file(https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uUdnRySYwgNVLAMHuHbqGHwu1sMCUCM-) and sorry for my late response. and I am also thinking that if I run it in COMSOL and plot the results in MATLAB, will the issue happen or not. unfortunately, I am not able to find a way to make it this way. willing to hear from you and any one for more suggestion.

Li

Hi Alex, if you do not mind, you could take a look at my mph file(https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uUdnRySYwgNVLAMHuHbqGHwu1sMCUCM-) and sorry for my late response. and I am also thinking that if I run it in COMSOL and plot the results in MATLAB, will the issue happen or not. unfortunately, I am not able to find a way to make it this way. willing to hear from you and any one for more suggestion. Li

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.