Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Geometry/Spatial Frames

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I was trying to develop a thermal deformation model. I have a moving heat source which is travelling over the edge of a 2D conical section. I defined the path as an interpolation function and moved the heat, as shown in the Laser tutorials etc. The issue is that, as the material domain is so small (in micrometers) the solid keeps on deforming in each time step. Actually it can be considered as a cantilever beam that carries a moving heat load. I am trying to figure out the final deformed position of the beam.

1. Is the coordinates input in the interpolation function would be in the Geometry frame (X, Y) ? or deformed frame (x,y)?

As the material deforms , How to ensure that the source sticks to the material and moves to the new position?

To make it more clear I have used a moving Diritchet condition as below

T = if(r<2e-6[m],1400[K],ht.Tvar) wher r= (sqrt((x-xfocus)^2+(y-yfocus)^2)), xfocus and yfocus are time dependent positions i defined as interpolation functions

So if the domain deformed to a new position because of thermal deformation if affects this condition right? How can I define an Interpolation function which would consider the current shape of the position of the domain ? Or is there any direct method to address this issue

1. My geometry units are in Mictometers, While designing I selected Micrometer. If I use x or y in any expression will it be considered in Micrometers?

For eg: If I have to apply some source or BC, where x is less than 20 micrometers in my geometry. Should I use x<20 , or x<20e-6 ?

Thanks a lot

0 Replies Last Post 15 set 2020, 01:54 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Aswin P

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.