Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error in fixed-fixed beam buckling analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello sir,

While I am doing buckling analysis of fixed-fixed beam, during computation the following error occurs, "Eigen solver 1: The mass matrix is zero". I have applied axial compressive load by using two boundary load at the fixed-fixed end.

Please help me out in this issue. I have also shared the .mph file.

Regards, Vasudha Agrawal

1 Reply Last Post 13 ott 2020, 02:11 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 13 ott 2020, 02:11 GMT-4
Updated: 4 years ago 13 ott 2020, 02:12 GMT-4

If your boundary conditions are fixed-fixed, the object cannot deform. A load applied to a fixed constraint is ignored. My guess is that you want to model a situation where there is a fixed constraint in one end, and a guided no-rotation support in the other end. There are several ways to accomplish that, for example

• By using a roller condition instead of a fixed constraint.
  • By replacing the fixed constraint with a rigid connector with appropriate constraints and loads
  • By modeling half of the structure, and use symmetry conditions.
-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
If your boundary conditions are fixed-fixed, the object cannot deform. A load applied to a fixed constraint is ignored. My guess is that you want to model a situation where there is a fixed constraint in one end, and a guided no-rotation support in the other end. There are several ways to accomplish that, for example * By using a roller condition instead of a fixed constraint. * By replacing the fixed constraint with a rigid connector with appropriate constraints and loads * By modeling half of the structure, and use symmetry conditions.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.