Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Contacts during Thermal expansion of trapped rubber

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm trying to model the thermal pressure exerted by a silicone block trapped into a mold after heating but the model do not converge.

I'm working in 2D axial symetry and stationnary, the mold is considered fixed.

I think it's linked with the way I set tup the contact, I tried different configurations : multi contacts (line by line) vs one single enveloppe contact (such as in the picture enclosed), lagrangian vs penalty, friction or not.

Anny suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 Reply Last Post 21 ott 2020, 19:17 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 21 ott 2020, 19:17 GMT-4

Hi Baptiste, There can be many reasons for this problem to give you a convergence error and just looking at the screenshot you have it will not be possible to give you a definitive answer.

You may want to decompose this problem and find out where you are having a problem. If I were you I would do the following. 1. Disable the heat trasfer and thermal expansion part. Disable the contact feature. See if the solid mechanics problem without contact converges. 2. Add the contact while heat transfer is still disabled and see if you get a convergence problem. 3. Solve the heat transfer problem while solid mechanics is disabled.

Which of these problems works as expected or not will give you a pretty good idea of where the convergence error is coming from.

While I can not say for sure, many thermal expansion problems get convergence error because people forget to put enough constraints. In case that is the situation here, the following blog article will help you. https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-provide-structural-stability-in-thermal-expansion-simulations/

For the most up-to-date solution, contact the support team.

Cheers, Temesgen

Hi Baptiste, There can be many reasons for this problem to give you a convergence error and just looking at the screenshot you have it will not be possible to give you a definitive answer. You may want to decompose this problem and find out where you are having a problem. If I were you I would do the following. 1. Disable the heat trasfer and thermal expansion part. Disable the contact feature. See if the solid mechanics problem without contact converges. 2. Add the contact while heat transfer is still disabled and see if you get a convergence problem. 3. Solve the heat transfer problem while solid mechanics is disabled. Which of these problems works as expected or not will give you a pretty good idea of where the convergence error is coming from. While I can not say for sure, many thermal expansion problems get convergence error because people forget to put enough constraints. In case that is the situation here, the following blog article will help you. https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-provide-structural-stability-in-thermal-expansion-simulations/ For the most up-to-date solution, contact the support team. Cheers, Temesgen

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.