Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Gear Pump Modeling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am looking for anyone to share their experiences in modeling a gear pump in COMSOL. I am looking for feedback on modules that were used, setup of problem incl. boundary conditions, as well as solver configurations.

Thank you in advance,
Andreas.

5 Replies Last Post 22 mar 2012, 13:25 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 mar 2012, 07:06 GMT-4
You would probably only need the general comsol license, CFD not yet required I think.

An FSI study should be possible, have a look at the peristaltic pump example somewhere on the comsol website.

Start in 2D because when you switch to 3D the computation time will go through the roof.
Get a good PC, 64-bit, >8GB ram.

You would probably only need the general comsol license, CFD not yet required I think. An FSI study should be possible, have a look at the peristaltic pump example somewhere on the comsol website. Start in 2D because when you switch to 3D the computation time will go through the roof. Get a good PC, 64-bit, >8GB ram.

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 mar 2012, 09:45 GMT-4
The basic COMSOL Multiphysics module has only laminar flow and does not have the FSI interface. Both come with the CFD module. You may not need the FSI interface since the gears in a gear pump are nearly rigid so you can model them as a moving (rotating) mesh instead of a solid.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
The basic COMSOL Multiphysics module has only laminar flow and does not have the FSI interface. Both come with the CFD module. You may not need the FSI interface since the gears in a gear pump are nearly rigid so you can model them as a moving (rotating) mesh instead of a solid. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 mar 2012, 11:21 GMT-4
You'll need the FSI yes, I thought it was with the main license. I have the MEMS license which includes the FSI.

You'll need the FSI yes, I thought it was with the main license. I have the MEMS license which includes the FSI.

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 mar 2012, 11:46 GMT-4
Thanks Jaap. What I said was not all correct. The FSI interface comes with both the MEMS and the Structures modules (not with the CFD module). Turbulent flow comes only with the CFD module. You can see the detailed specs here: www.comsol.com/products/specifications/. I still think that if you only use the moving mesh with laminar flow you should be able to analyze this problem with only the basic module.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Thanks Jaap. What I said was not all correct. The FSI interface comes with both the MEMS and the Structures modules (not with the CFD module). Turbulent flow comes only with the CFD module. You can see the detailed specs here: http://www.comsol.com/products/specifications/. I still think that if you only use the moving mesh with laminar flow you should be able to analyze this problem with only the basic module. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 mar 2012, 13:25 GMT-4
I am baffled. There were three replies to this thread? How and why did they get deleted?
I am baffled. There were three replies to this thread? How and why did they get deleted?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.