Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

To solve electric double layer between parallel plate

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi.

I'm trying to solve electric double layer between charged parallel plate using Nernst-Planck eqn & Poisson eqn

rather than Poisson-Boltzmann eqn. Because I want to research double layer overlap and flow in nano channel.

At first step, I tried to solve that system. left end is charged wall.

________zero charge________

---------------------------------------------
zero charge
Using 'transport of dilute species' and 'electrostatics' modules, I can solve electric double layer in that system. There

was no problem. However, see the next domain.

________charged wall________

---------------------------------------------
charged wall
In above situation which is corresponding charged nanochannel, I failed to solve electric double layer.

If COMSOL gives me some error message, I agree that my model is wrong. But there's no error, convergence is very nice.

In spite of that, result is very strange comparing to EDL structure in text book.

Why do I encounter this type of failure? My BCs are wrong?

Followings are my BCs;

at charged wall, surface charge density, qs (electrostatics)
no flux (transport of dilute species)

at ends of channel, ground (electrostatics)
bulk concentration, c0 for cation and anion (transport of dile species)

for initial condition, potential = 0 & concentration = c0 for cation and anion

Maybe I think there's no problem in my model, so I confused.

Please let me know how can I solve EDL in that system using NP eqn & Poisson eqn rather than Poisson-Boltzmann eqn.

Thanks.

2 Replies Last Post 13 mag 2013, 15:12 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 apr 2012, 11:42 GMT-4
The ground condition at the channel ends is not appropriate, make it insulation condition that way your surface field would be one-dimensional. Also, try with smaller surface charge densities and if you want to solve for higher values, you could use parametric solver.
The ground condition at the channel ends is not appropriate, make it insulation condition that way your surface field would be one-dimensional. Also, try with smaller surface charge densities and if you want to solve for higher values, you could use parametric solver.

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 mag 2013, 15:12 GMT-4
Hi,

I am trying to simulate a structure electrolyte/oxyde/semiconductor. I would like to plot potential profile in this structure.
It is possible to give an model resolution to be able to know more

Could someone please help? I really appreciate your time!

Hi, I am trying to simulate a structure electrolyte/oxyde/semiconductor. I would like to plot potential profile in this structure. It is possible to give an model resolution to be able to know more Could someone please help? I really appreciate your time!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.