Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Single permanent magnet has unexpected non zero force

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The attached project has single magnet and no other objects. With the "Magnetic Field" physics we expect to see zero magnetic force, but the graph of force after simulation shows a noisy, about 10N force.

What I am doing wrong?

4 Replies Last Post 7 dic 2020, 07:21 GMT-5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago 5 dic 2020, 13:38 GMT-5
Updated: 4 years ago 5 dic 2020, 13:39 GMT-5

Hmm. If I move your magnet up to the vertical center (pos z = -.01 instead of pos z = -.09) of your model, then the force drops by a factor of about 20x. This suggests that this asymmetry in the force was due to imperfections (the vertical asmmetry) in your model. Boundary conditions can never truly represent free space. Also, using finer meshes and higher order discretization reduces the force even further. So... it looks like you have numerical effects involved. You'll likely never get a "true" zero. This is a finite-element method based code.

By the way, why are you doing a time-dependent study on what seems to be a steady-state problem? Did I miss something?

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Hmm. If I move your magnet up to the vertical center (pos z = -.01 instead of pos z = -.09) of your model, then the force drops by a factor of about 20x. This suggests that this asymmetry in the force was due to imperfections (the vertical asmmetry) in your model. Boundary conditions can never *truly* represent free space. Also, using finer meshes and higher order discretization reduces the force even further. So... it looks like you have numerical effects involved. You'll likely never get a "true" zero. This is a finite-element method based code. By the way, why are you doing a time-dependent study on what seems to be a steady-state problem? Did I miss something?

Posted: 4 years ago 6 dic 2020, 09:57 GMT-5

Thank You,

Yes I need to make a time-dependent study of a linear motor. The previous file was a simplified version to show just one issue.

In the file linked below, the magnetic field force is used for computing the displacement of shaft. The problem with the simulation is that magnetic force is non zero even when the coil current is set to zero. The shaft moves, but the applied forced is expected to be zero.

The file below does not have assymetry but the issue remains.

The lab file

Thank You, Yes I need to make a time-dependent study of a linear motor. The previous file was a simplified version to show just one issue. In the file linked below, the magnetic field force is used for computing the displacement of shaft. The problem with the simulation is that magnetic force is non zero even when the coil current is set to zero. The shaft moves, but the applied forced is expected to be zero. The file below does not have assymetry but the issue remains. [The lab file](https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QJk5irPvXL2ID4cEb9Vs-nB0pJkF5TiI/view?usp=sharing)

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago 6 dic 2020, 15:28 GMT-5

All models have numerical errors. In time-domain models, the errors can grow over time, sometimes even washing away the real physics. Thus, you need to configure your model so that the physics of interest to you dominates over the numerical errors. In some cases, this is very easy to do. In others, it takes a great deal of effort. Linear motor models are a bit outside my primary areas of investigation, so I encourage the more knowledgeable members of this forum to contribute their specific suggestions about how your model can be improved. Good luck.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
All models have numerical errors. In time-domain models, the errors can grow over time, sometimes even washing away the real physics. Thus, you need to configure your model so that the physics of interest to you dominates over the numerical errors. In some cases, this is very easy to do. In others, it takes a great deal of effort. Linear motor models are a bit outside my primary areas of investigation, so I encourage the more knowledgeable members of this forum to contribute their specific suggestions about how your model can be improved. Good luck.

Posted: 4 years ago 7 dic 2020, 07:21 GMT-5

Thamk You

Thamk You

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.