Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Difference in the Model of Fuel Cell and Electrolyzer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All

I have modelled two simple 2D models for fuel cell and electrolyzer. Perhaps I have modefied a 3D fuel cell model present on the comsol website and modified it to 2D. In the same way I have modelled the electrolyzer but only changing the gases to the inlet in the case of electrolyzer ( as in this case it will only be water on anode side ) and blocked the inlet of cathode. The electrolyzer model is giving me the correct polarization curve. I have made only those changes in the electrolyzer case(discussed above) nothing else. I have used the following interfaces i.e, Secondary current Distribution, Brinkman Equations (one for anode and one for cathode),transport of Conc. species(one for anode and one for cathode) ,

The thing that is not convincing me is the equations behind the program. As in the fuel cell case the valtage that we get is the subtraction of all the voltage losses from the Nernst Voltage i.e ( = Vnernst - (Vact+Vohmic+Vconc +...)) and in the electrolyzer case the voltage that we have to give is the addition of all the overpotentials i.e, (= Vnerst+ Vact+Vohmic+ Vconc+...). Using the same interfaces as those of the fuel cell and making no changes in the equations it is giving me the correct results for electrolyzer. I do not understand how it incorprated the addition of all losses in the electrolyzer case.

Your help is highly appreciated

Regards Rozanne

0 Replies Last Post 29 dic 2020, 10:55 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Rozanne Majid

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.