Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thermoelectric Leg - Output voltage lower than expected

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am producing models of thermoelectric legs consisitng of different temperature-dependent thermoelectric materials. I have set up a basic cuboid geometry with a copper plate on each side of the leg, specified ground on the lower plate, and a temperature difference between the top and bottom of the leg. My model and setup is based on the Thermoelectric Leg and Thermoelectric Generator posts on the COMSOL website.

I have input the following material parameters myself based on external data sources: Seebeck coefficient, Thermal conductivity, Density, Electrical conductivity, Relative permittivity and Heat capacity.

I have found that my output voltage results produce an output Seebeck coefficent and figure of merit (ZT) values lower than that specified by the external data source. This overall decrease is prevalent in every material I have analysed so far. Trying different boundary condtions, en/disabling different parameters, and altering the initial temperature has had only a negligible impact on the output voltage, and hence the ZT results I am getting.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this issue and/or advice about where there may be possible issues in the model setup.

Many thanks

0 Replies Last Post 8 feb 2021, 09:23 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Holly Whitehouse

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.