Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Lumbar Spine Biomechanics_Failed to evaluate variable ( material.parameter.E)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Though i change the parameters (Young's Modulus) for many number of times. I keep getting error messages like these,
Failed to evaluate variable.
- Variable: material.parameter.E
- Geometry: 1
- Domain: 5
Failed to evaluate expression.
- Expression: material.parameter.E
Failed to evaluate operator.
- Operator: mean
- Geometry: 1
- Boundary: 19
After i alter the parameters in the domain:5 and it ends up giving me an error in another domain. i'm unable to figure out where to start with the solving of this error.Can someone please help me whi this?

Thank You So Much!!

4 Replies Last Post 12 feb 2013, 23:07 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 apr 2012, 02:08 GMT-4
Hi

Perhaps its one of your physics settings that is set to User defined E modulus instead as "From material", or it's one of your materials that does not have E defined, (or you material is anisotropic, then you need to define the full tensor) or some domeain (5) is not linked to any material ? Or one of the numbers is not typed right, or even you are using an equation that is not fully defined, typo or undefined variable (this is not so likely, as COMSOL should have told you the variable name)

There are many combinations possible for such error

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Perhaps its one of your physics settings that is set to User defined E modulus instead as "From material", or it's one of your materials that does not have E defined, (or you material is anisotropic, then you need to define the full tensor) or some domeain (5) is not linked to any material ? Or one of the numbers is not typed right, or even you are using an equation that is not fully defined, typo or undefined variable (this is not so likely, as COMSOL should have told you the variable name) There are many combinations possible for such error -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 apr 2012, 12:36 GMT-4
Thank you so much for the reply.

I tried to look out for all the different situations where one would go wrong, but still i'm unable to figure it out.

What kind of physics setting is best suitable for a model like LUMBAR SPINE. Like if i wanted to work on biomechanics and kinematics of the model. Please help me understand these things better and make a best use of COMSOL.
Thank you so much for the reply. I tried to look out for all the different situations where one would go wrong, but still i'm unable to figure it out. What kind of physics setting is best suitable for a model like LUMBAR SPINE. Like if i wanted to work on biomechanics and kinematics of the model. Please help me understand these things better and make a best use of COMSOL.

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 apr 2012, 12:48 GMT-4
The model that i created was using simpleware scanip and exported as FE model to COMSOL. In COMSOL, different structures i build from SCANIP are shown only as "domains" and i cannot see any boundary,edge or point available to access from my model.

For example :

If i want to select a boundary load on the model, i need to select the whole domain which is not i wanted. So, can someone please give me suggestions on how to go through the models generated from scanip or other 3D modeling softwares.

The model that i created was using simpleware scanip and exported as FE model to COMSOL. In COMSOL, different structures i build from SCANIP are shown only as "domains" and i cannot see any boundary,edge or point available to access from my model. For example : If i want to select a boundary load on the model, i need to select the whole domain which is not i wanted. So, can someone please give me suggestions on how to go through the models generated from scanip or other 3D modeling softwares.

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 feb 2013, 23:07 GMT-5
hi harsha

i would like to know whether u developed the spine model on your own or did u purchase a spine model
hi harsha i would like to know whether u developed the spine model on your own or did u purchase a spine model

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.