Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Adjusting 3D Mesh to have finer resolution in some areas

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am solving a problem in Comsol using the Structural Mechanics module and **need to know how to adjust the size of a 3D mesh on 1 domain to make it finer for some areas and coarser for others.

I have a rectangular prism with dimensions of 50 um x 50 um x 10 um. There is a fixed constraint on one 50 um x 50 um face and a 1MPa load on the other 50 um x 50 um face. There are 2 periodic boundary conditions on the remaining 2 face pairs.

I created a Free Tetrahedral mesh using a .625 um element size, but the problem is too large for my computer's memory.

The attached file "simulation," has the full simulation set up.

**Is there a way to adjust the 3D mesh so that it is coarser on the larger (50 um x 50 um) faces and finer on the 10 um x 50 um faces?

The attached picture shows what I would like to do using a Free Tetrahedral or other 3D mesh. Note that I actually achieved this picture using Free Triangular meshes, which are not suitable for my 3D problem, I just did this for the sake of illustrating what I actually want. Thank you!

1 Reply Last Post 28 feb 2021, 19:15 GMT-5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 28 feb 2021, 19:15 GMT-5

This is straightforward to do. Just use a user-defined mesh and specify different size constraints for the domain and the faces in question. See my attached, and only slightly-modified, version of your file.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
This is straightforward to do. Just use a user-defined mesh and specify different size constraints for the domain and the faces in question. See my attached, and only slightly-modified, version of your file.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.