Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Initial values Error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have the following error:

Failed to find consistent initial values.
Last time step is not converged.

How can I solve it?

3 Replies Last Post 29 lug 2012, 18:02 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 apr 2012, 03:06 GMT-4
Hi

go over your initial values, by default these are "0" but that is often far from the reality (normally an initial value is already the result, or something close.

The typical case is in CFD is that the initial velocity is "0" and you have defined a fixed or non-zero inlet velocity. Then you can apply a small velocity, average from your prescribed one, if possible with a radial profile (if in a tube) and perhaps a pressure drop (see Poiseuille). This has been discussed several times on the Forum, try a "search" ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi go over your initial values, by default these are "0" but that is often far from the reality (normally an initial value is already the result, or something close. The typical case is in CFD is that the initial velocity is "0" and you have defined a fixed or non-zero inlet velocity. Then you can apply a small velocity, average from your prescribed one, if possible with a radial profile (if in a tube) and perhaps a pressure drop (see Poiseuille). This has been discussed several times on the Forum, try a "search" ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 apr 2012, 06:19 GMT-4
Thank you...I've solved the problem.:)
Thank you...I've solved the problem.:)

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 lug 2012, 18:02 GMT-4
Hi Manuela/Ivar,

I am begining to learn COMSOL and also getting the same error (failed to find consistent initial values). I have started with a simple fluid dynamics problem with flow between two plates. The two plates have no slip condition and I have defined inlet and outlet pressures to be 0.02 and 0 Pa respectively. The initial velocity and pressure are set to 0 by default, which I believe are correct. Pls. advise. Thanks.
Hi Manuela/Ivar, I am begining to learn COMSOL and also getting the same error (failed to find consistent initial values). I have started with a simple fluid dynamics problem with flow between two plates. The two plates have no slip condition and I have defined inlet and outlet pressures to be 0.02 and 0 Pa respectively. The initial velocity and pressure are set to 0 by default, which I believe are correct. Pls. advise. Thanks.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.