Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cyclic MW Heating

Muhammad Mohsin Rehman

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

Can we perform cyclic microwave heating in COMSOL?
By cyclic, I mean switching on the power for some time and then swittching it off for some time, the way the original microwave oven works in real life.

I think the model given for microwave oven performs a continuous heating, is it?

Thanks for any help.

3 Replies Last Post 1 mag 2012, 02:39 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 apr 2012, 13:59 GMT-4
Hi

if you run aa time dependent study, you can modulate any BC field with a time dependent function, but take some care to make it "smooth" to allow COMSOL to estmate at least one derivative to help the solving process convergence, and turn OFF the "automatix stepping, by using "intermediate" or "strict"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you run aa time dependent study, you can modulate any BC field with a time dependent function, but take some care to make it "smooth" to allow COMSOL to estmate at least one derivative to help the solving process convergence, and turn OFF the "automatix stepping, by using "intermediate" or "strict" -- Good luck Ivar

Muhammad Mohsin Rehman

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 mag 2012, 01:22 GMT-4
Thanks Ivar for your reply!

I am using Frequency transient study as I need to specify the operational frequency for microwaves. If I go for Time dependent study, it is not possible to define the frequency...

In addition what do you mean by saying "you can modulate any BC field with a time dependent function"?
How can I define a model with time dependent function? Can you please provide an example?

Thanks.
Thanks Ivar for your reply! I am using Frequency transient study as I need to specify the operational frequency for microwaves. If I go for Time dependent study, it is not possible to define the frequency... In addition what do you mean by saying "you can modulate any BC field with a time dependent function"? How can I define a model with time dependent function? Can you please provide an example? Thanks.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 mag 2012, 02:39 GMT-4
Hi

There are a set of new study combinations (but it's 4.2a), but they are not implemented everywhere for all physics.
Such as the Frequency-Transient, Frequency-Stationary etc and must often be called directly from a right click on the study node

You are right that a time dependent analysis in the microwave regime will take ages ;) Therefore the frequency domain transient are useful, check the doc

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi There are a set of new study combinations (but it's 4.2a), but they are not implemented everywhere for all physics. Such as the Frequency-Transient, Frequency-Stationary etc and must often be called directly from a right click on the study node You are right that a time dependent analysis in the microwave regime will take ages ;) Therefore the frequency domain transient are useful, check the doc -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.