Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

"Combined" plots

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody,

I want to evaluate some results. I have a 3D-Model in which I use symmetry. Now I would like to create a plot, where the model is cut in the middle. I want it to look like, if you you cut a cake in the middle. You can see what is inside, at the position where the knife has been, but you can also see what is on the surface of the remaining half. I did not find a hint in the help. I tried to to use a volumeplot with a filter, but then I get the problem, that I can't cut the model at any position.

2 Replies Last Post 11 giu 2012, 02:24 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 giu 2012, 13:31 GMT-4
Hi

I wanted to make a plot like this too but the postprocessing tools did not work for me either.
Tried to play with cut surfaces and filters but without success.

How I did it in the end:

- create all surfaces that descibe your piece of cake in the geometry modeller. also new inner ones inside your cake.
- you don't assign boundary conditions to the new inner surfaces but you have to mesh them too.
- in the postprocessing you only display the surfaces that describe your cake.
- plot your result data on these surfaces

It's not nice to rebuild the model just for postproc. but it works.

Maybe theres someone with a better idea.

\Flanell

Hi I wanted to make a plot like this too but the postprocessing tools did not work for me either. Tried to play with cut surfaces and filters but without success. How I did it in the end: - create all surfaces that descibe your piece of cake in the geometry modeller. also new inner ones inside your cake. - you don't assign boundary conditions to the new inner surfaces but you have to mesh them too. - in the postprocessing you only display the surfaces that describe your cake. - plot your result data on these surfaces It's not nice to rebuild the model just for postproc. but it works. Maybe theres someone with a better idea. \Flanell

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 giu 2012, 02:24 GMT-4
Hi

you can define a 3D plot with volume and define your cut plane inside plot definition.
For example: if(y>0,solid.mises,NaN)
This will plot only elements with y>0. See attached example.

Ralf
Hi you can define a 3D plot with volume and define your cut plane inside plot definition. For example: if(y>0,solid.mises,NaN) This will plot only elements with y>0. See attached example. Ralf

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.