Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Virtual Electrical Connection

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Is it possible to connect two surfaces/boundaries virtually in COMSOL? I am studying joule heating as well as magnetic analysis of copper bars, and drawing interconnection wires/geometry for electrical connection is appearing to be difficult with the component under consideration. Is there a way I can choose two surfaces/boundaries and speciy that there is a zero electrical voltage difference in these? This in essence would provide a continous path of current in between two selected surfaces.

As an example, I am trying to connect (3) and (4) which are electrically isolated. Refer to the attachment.

Many thanks,

4 Replies Last Post 24 lug 2021, 18:35 GMT-4
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 22 lug 2021, 21:07 GMT-4

When applying the Terminal or Potential boundary conditions you can select multiple boundaries.

When applying the Terminal or Potential boundary conditions you can select multiple boundaries.

Posted: 3 years ago 23 lug 2021, 12:02 GMT-4

Thank you for suggestions, however, these boundaries cannot be applied inside the air domain. I have been trying to perform magentic analysis with box drawn to act as an air domain, and I was unable to connect two conductors inside the air box using the above suggested boundaries.

Thank you for suggestions, however, these boundaries cannot be applied inside the air domain. I have been trying to perform magentic analysis with box drawn to act as an air domain, and I was unable to connect two conductors inside the air box using the above suggested boundaries.

Posted: 3 years ago 23 lug 2021, 12:41 GMT-4

So with the Joule heatign case, it is possible to select floating potential boundaries with value of 0V which ensures continuity of current as shown below.

So with the Joule heatign case, it is possible to select floating potential boundaries with value of 0V which ensures continuity of current as shown below.

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 24 lug 2021, 18:35 GMT-4
Updated: 3 years ago 24 lug 2021, 18:36 GMT-4

You seem to be talking about coupling the behavior (or the value of a quantity, such as potential) that is appearing in one location (such as on a boundary or surface) to a different location (such as a different boundary or surface). If so, you may wish to explore a Comsol feature called "coupling variables." Be aware that these can be tricky to use correctly. Right-click Definitions, choose "Non-local couplings," and consider the various choices offered to you. Consult the help system and application library for examples.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
You seem to be talking about coupling the behavior (or the value of a quantity, such as potential) that is appearing in one location (such as on a boundary or surface) to a different location (such as a different boundary or surface). If so, you may wish to explore a Comsol feature called "coupling variables." Be aware that these can be tricky to use correctly. Right-click Definitions, choose "Non-local couplings," and consider the various choices offered to you. Consult the help system and application library for examples.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.