Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem in messing small size element

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have 50mm substrate on top and bottom of it i have 10micrometer thin layer. i am facing problem in messing this structure.

2 Replies Last Post 21 ago 2021, 10:11 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 20 ago 2021, 14:06 GMT-4
Updated: 3 years ago 20 ago 2021, 15:43 GMT-4

Hello Manish,

Speaking in general terms, there are at least two approaches available to you to handle a situation like this one: 1. use a swept mesh in the thin layers 2. switch to a surface formulation ("shell elements" in structural mechanics terminology) instead of a volumetric formulation to represent the thin layers, thereby altogether eliminating the need to mesh them three-dimensionally.

I don't know your area of engineering well enough to determine if option 2 above is an option for you. Perhaps other Discussion Forum readers can comment on that. As far as option 1, you will find examples of it in the chapter on meshing in the Reference Manual, or watch this video from the Learning Center.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Manish, Speaking in general terms, there are at least two approaches available to you to handle a situation like this one: 1. use a swept mesh in the thin layers 2. switch to a surface formulation ("shell elements" in structural mechanics terminology) instead of a volumetric formulation to represent the thin layers, thereby altogether eliminating the need to mesh them three-dimensionally. I don't know your area of engineering well enough to determine if option 2 above is an option for you. Perhaps other Discussion Forum readers can comment on that. As far as option 1, you will find examples of it in the chapter on meshing in the Reference Manual, or watch [this video](https://www.comsol.com/learning-center/building-the-mesh-for-a-model-geometry-in-comsol-multiphysics) from the Learning Center. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 3 years ago 21 ago 2021, 10:11 GMT-4

Thank you. I watched video it was very informative but still i am not able to mesh my another geometry. I am attaching file. it has 1nm size graphene layer and 28micrometer thick silica slab. or if you suggest physics to convert volume into surface in wave optic physics.

Thank you. I watched video it was very informative but still i am not able to mesh my another geometry. I am attaching file. it has 1nm size graphene layer and 28micrometer thick silica slab. or if you suggest physics to convert volume into surface in wave optic physics.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.