Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

nonlinear wave propagation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am making 2D Lamb wave propagation in hyperelastic materials with Muraghan Third Order Elastic constants, I have a impulse function as input BCs, but when I use transient study it always can not run (the last step can not converge), however, if I select linear elastic material rather than hyperelastic, it can run anyway, is there some part I should change the settings ?

Thanks.

1 Reply Last Post 2 ott 2021, 12:53 GMT-4
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 2 ott 2021, 12:53 GMT-4

A source approximating an impulse function PLUS nonlinearity is pretty much a worst case for convergence in a time-dependent solution.

You could try making the "impulse" more gradual, say a half sine wave. And try decreasing the amplitude until you get convergence. Maybe you can get a useful solution that way.

Sometimes using different solvers will help. For (linear) wave propagation problems I use BDF, strict, max order 2, min order 1.

A source approximating an impulse function PLUS nonlinearity is pretty much a worst case for convergence in a time-dependent solution. You could try making the "impulse" more gradual, say a half sine wave. And try decreasing the amplitude until you get convergence. Maybe you can get a useful solution that way. Sometimes using different solvers will help. For (linear) wave propagation problems I use BDF, strict, max order 2, min order 1.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.