Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Laser Bending Moving Heat Source

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I am very new to COMSOL and I'm trying to model laser bending. I want to take a simple heat source and move it across a thin metal plate to see how it deforms. However I'm struggling on how to get the heat source to move across the plate. I've looked at a couple of tutorials particular, "3 Approaches to Modeling Moving Loads and Constraints in COMSOL by Walter Frei". I like method 1 with using variables, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make it move in a straight line, at a specfic location on the metal plate. I know this a really basic thing, but I'm still learning comsol as I use it. If anyone could point out some more resoures to help me understand how the variables work in heat transfer, or help with my problem that would be great, thank you.

1 Reply Last Post 18 ott 2021, 15:25 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 18 ott 2021, 15:25 GMT-4
Updated: 3 years ago 18 ott 2021, 15:26 GMT-4

Hi Trevor,

Something like

will have the focus move at velocity v at an angle alpha to the x axis, starting from (a,b) at t=0.

Best, Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hi Trevor, Something like x_{focus}= cos(alpha)*v*t+a y_{focus}= sin(alpha)*v*t+b will have the focus move at velocity v at an angle alpha to the x axis, starting from (a,b) at t=0. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.