Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

imposed a floating potential not referenced to ground

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I try to model a floatting potential imposed by a 9V batterie in an specific apparatus. The floating voltage is applied between two electrodes but this specific voltage must not be referenced to the general ground in the model. I've tried many solutions but it does not work and did not find anything in model example. Thanks for your help.

Best regards.

6 Replies Last Post 11 apr 2022, 15:26 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago 8 apr 2022, 14:04 GMT-4
Updated: 2 years ago 8 apr 2022, 14:06 GMT-4

Christophe,

maybe the easiest solution is to make one of the electrodes to ground, the other electrode to +9V and let the former ground structure float.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Christophe, maybe the easiest solution is to make one of the electrodes to ground, the other electrode to +9V and let the former ground structure float. Cheers Edgar

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago 8 apr 2022, 14:16 GMT-4

There are probably some other workarounds, say using the circuit module and some 1E12 ohm resistors.

But I suggest thinking about whether this corresponds to the real experimental situation, as sources tend to have some sort of connection to ground through parasitics.

There are probably some other workarounds, say using the circuit module and some 1E12 ohm resistors. But I suggest thinking about whether this corresponds to the real experimental situation, as sources tend to have some sort of connection to ground through parasitics.

Posted: 2 years ago 8 apr 2022, 21:46 GMT-4

Hi,

thanks for your suggestions but the apparatus is installed on a aerial electric line and not connected to ground, Inside this apparatus, a 9v batterie is connected to two electrodes acting like a capacitor. I want to simulate the E-field response inside the apparatus et consequently model the applied voltage of the battery which is a floating voltage.

Hi, thanks for your suggestions but the apparatus is installed on a aerial electric line and not connected to ground, Inside this apparatus, a 9v batterie is connected to two electrodes acting like a capacitor. I want to simulate the E-field response inside the apparatus et consequently model the applied voltage of the battery which is a floating voltage.

Posted: 2 years ago 9 apr 2022, 03:11 GMT-4

Then my suggestion should be appropriate. It will provide accurate fields.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Then my suggestion should be appropriate. It will provide accurate fields.

Posted: 2 years ago 11 apr 2022, 15:04 GMT-4

Thanks Edgar foe your suggestions. However, the appratus must be submitted to the external E-fields resulting from the power line, E-field which is establissed between the bare conductor and the ground (earth). In my understanding, the ground in Comsol in the same for all bondaries? Best reagards.

Thanks Edgar foe your suggestions. However, the appratus must be submitted to the external E-fields resulting from the power line, E-field which is establissed between the bare conductor and the ground (earth). In my understanding, the ground in Comsol in the same for all bondaries? Best reagards.

Posted: 2 years ago 11 apr 2022, 15:26 GMT-4

Ground is on the boundaries you apply it to. It is only a different word for a 0V potential. In any computer model you need to apply a defined potential to at least one point. That is how potential fields work. This setting can be ground (0V) or any other appropriate potential value.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Ground is on the boundaries you apply it to. It is only a different word for a 0V potential. In any computer model you need to apply a defined potential to at least one point. That is how potential fields work. This setting can be ground (0V) or any other appropriate potential value.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.