Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Contact Surface Offset and Adjustment

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

For shrinkfit between two surface in contat I gave a surface offset in contact node in solid mechanics physics. After simulation the contact pressure is generated but when I see in results (stress) plot there is a gap created at interface. Why this thing happen while I given offset for the interference fit? Thanks.

7 Replies Last Post 26 mag 2022, 09:54 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 19 mag 2022, 02:36 GMT-4

The offset is a mathematical construct where a number is added to (or subtracted from) the geometrical gap. When the boundaries are in contact, the visual impression is that they are at the given offset distance from each other.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
The offset is a mathematical construct where a number is added to (or subtracted from) the geometrical gap. When the boundaries are in contact, the visual impression is that they are at the given offset distance from each other.

Posted: 2 years ago 19 mag 2022, 11:29 GMT-4

I don't believe this has always been the case though has it?

I came across this exact situation today, repeating an analysis type I have done a number of times before (prior to v6 of Comsol) where a rubber gaiter is fitted over a shaft, and the gaiter expands in the model to snap onto the outside diameters of the shaft. However, it seems with v6 this visual anomaly exists as Shyam describes, where the final position seems to show the gaiter not in the intended final position but actually (in my case) expanded too much and gap between the OD of the shaft and the neck of the gaiter.

I don't believe this has always been the case though has it? I came across this exact situation today, repeating an analysis type I have done a number of times before (prior to v6 of Comsol) where a rubber gaiter is fitted over a shaft, and the gaiter expands in the model to snap onto the outside diameters of the shaft. However, it seems with v6 this visual anomaly exists as Shyam describes, where the final position seems to show the gaiter not in the intended final position but actually (in my case) expanded too much and gap between the OD of the shaft and the neck of the gaiter.

Posted: 2 years ago 23 mag 2022, 02:30 GMT-4

Thanks for the reply Henrik and Mark.

So Mark Are you saying that this appearance is only occur in V6 , not in earlier version. Actulay I am thinking that in interface fit in visual expersion there must be 0 or negative gap between the bodies came in contact.

Thanks for the reply Henrik and Mark. So Mark Are you saying that this appearance is only occur in V6 , not in earlier version. Actulay I am thinking that in interface fit in visual expersion there must be 0 or negative gap between the bodies came in contact.

Posted: 2 years ago 23 mag 2022, 07:51 GMT-4

Mark,

As far as I know, this has always been the case. Can you show an example highlighting the difference that you experience? If it is confidential, ask support about why there is a difference.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Mark, As far as I know, this has always been the case. Can you show an example highlighting the difference that you experience? If it is confidential, ask support about why there is a difference.

Posted: 2 years ago 24 mag 2022, 03:22 GMT-4

Hi Henrik,

I don't want to de-rail the initial thread, but attached is a quick description of what I have observed with v6. I am struggling to locate a solved model using an earlier version, but I recall the displayed (and calculated) deformation would be as intended, whereas the visual (and calculated) displacement in v6 seems to be almost twice what was asked for.

Of course, I am fully expecting this to be user error (!), but I do not believe I have changed how I approach this type of analysis.

Mark

Hi Henrik, I don't want to de-rail the initial thread, but attached is a quick description of what I have observed with v6. I am struggling to locate a solved model using an earlier version, but I recall the displayed (and calculated) deformation would be as intended, whereas the visual (and calculated) displacement in v6 seems to be almost twice what was asked for. Of course, I am fully expecting this to be user error (!), but I do not believe I have changed how I approach this type of analysis. Mark

Posted: 2 years ago 24 mag 2022, 11:24 GMT-4

Hi Mark,

This seems like a potential user error. If there is a geometrical overlap, then no offset is needed (except possibly to get good starting conditions).

In this case, I would use a negative offset, multiplied by (1-para). The negative offset removes the overlap at the first parameter value, so that the contact can be established without problems.

For shrink fit simulations where the geometry is not overlapping in the original configuration, you need a positive offset, and then the visual anomaly appears.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Mark, This seems like a potential user error. If there is a geometrical overlap, then no offset is needed (except possibly to get good starting conditions). In this case, I would use a negative offset, multiplied by (1-para). The negative offset removes the overlap at the first parameter value, so that the contact can be established without problems. For shrink fit simulations where the geometry is not overlapping in the original configuration, you need a positive offset, and then the visual anomaly appears.

Posted: 2 years ago 26 mag 2022, 09:54 GMT-4

Hi Henrik,

Thanks for that feedback, I will try that approach... not sure if any of this helps with the original subject of the post, but I appreciate you taking the time to look at this related question!

Mark

Hi Henrik, Thanks for that feedback, I will try that approach... not sure if any of this helps with the original subject of the post, but I appreciate you taking the time to look at this related question! Mark

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.