Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Parameter Estimations by Inverse Analysis using Comsol 4.2.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Sirs,

I would like to have an opinion by more expert users than me. I am facing a problem of parameter estimation by inverse analysis for structural mechanics. More simply, I have to estimate the values for certain parameters of the constitutive law. The observation variable that I look at in order to understand if the current value of the parameter is correct is the displacement field in the domain.

The mathematical formulation of the problem involves a functional J that should be minimised and the so called primal and dual problems.

Have some of you ever tried to solve this type of problem? If yes, which package of Comsol did you use? I think the best would be to use the Sensitivity module that is in the General PDE module but I would like to have some advice.

Many thanks for the help,

I wish you a nice day,

Paolo Tricerri

2 Replies Last Post 24 ago 2012, 15:37 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 ago 2012, 09:46 GMT-4
The Optimization module is designed to handle problems like yours.
The Optimization module is designed to handle problems like yours.

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 ago 2012, 15:37 GMT-4
Hi,

You can also run comsol in matlab and thereby use matlab's capability to run optimisation problem.

Suresh
Hi, You can also run comsol in matlab and thereby use matlab's capability to run optimisation problem. Suresh

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.