Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to consider groundwater table in soil

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi I am a beginner of COMSOL, I am trying to use COMSOL to model soil behaviour. As you know the soil always water in it, which make a difference of stress state, can be total stress and effective stress.

When I use Geomechanics model, there is no option for groundwater, do I need the "subsurface flow module" to make for it?

I tried to use "porous material module", but it can not show some specific geomechanics feature, such as soil plasticity, friction angle, cohesion, etc.

thank you

1 Reply Last Post 22 ago 2012, 07:30 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 ago 2012, 07:30 GMT-4
Hi,

My trial license of geomechanics module has expired and hence cannot appreciate your constraints.

But if you see the need to include changing or static water table or for that matter unsaturated soil, just add your own PDE form equation to include Darcy's or Richard's equation as appropriate. This is very simple. But make sure that in the source term of your flow equation that you have the volumetric strain (solid.evol) as the coupling term of course with appropriate coefficients included. In other words, write down your flow equation with appropriate coupling with strains and code it into the PDE form.

Suresh
Hi, My trial license of geomechanics module has expired and hence cannot appreciate your constraints. But if you see the need to include changing or static water table or for that matter unsaturated soil, just add your own PDE form equation to include Darcy's or Richard's equation as appropriate. This is very simple. But make sure that in the source term of your flow equation that you have the volumetric strain (solid.evol) as the coupling term of course with appropriate coefficients included. In other words, write down your flow equation with appropriate coupling with strains and code it into the PDE form. Suresh

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.