Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Finite Strain Formulation For Solid Mechanics Module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The below post is related to an archived discussion

Hello everyone,

I have a query regarding External Strain sub-node for a hyperelastic material and I hoped someone could help me. I understand that when we add an External Strain for a hyperelastic material in solid mechanics module, COMSOL first calculates the elastic Second Piola- Kirchhoff Stress and then, using a pull-back operation determines the same stress in undeformed (material) configuration. I was wondering how the elastic Second Piola- Kirchhoff Stress is being calculated for a hyperelastic material?

As you can see in the attached screenshot which is the equation view section for a hyperelastic material, COMSOL is calculating the elastic Second Piola- Kirchhoff Stress first, by taking the derivative of the strain energy function (Ws) with respect to the elastic right Cauchy-Green tensor (Ce), until this part everything seems to be correct but after taking the derivative, the result is being divided by the Jacobian of the inelastic deformation tensor (Ji), I am curious what is the reason that the derivative is being divided by the Ji? because according to Hooke’s law, Ji is just being used for the pull-back operation and not in the definition of the elastic Second Piola- Kirchhoff Stress.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

0 Replies Last Post 28 lug 2022, 05:08 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Lucas Jones

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.