Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

boundary conditions for hoop stress

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am new to Comsol structural mechanics and I am trying to solve a very simple problem without any success. I would like to simply solve for the hoop stress on a simple copper ring by applying a pressure on the inside face and without having any fixed constraint. I think I need to apply a weak constraint to keep the model from flying away but I can't seem to apply any boundary condition that gives a suitable answer. So far the only way I have been able to get a semi-suitable solution is to apply a fixed constraint on a single point, but this is not how I want the model to solve. I just want the hoop stress and displacement by a pressure acting on the inside of the ring.

I have attached the model and any help would be greatly appreciate.

3 Replies Last Post 7 set 2012, 09:52 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 set 2012, 11:34 GMT-4
Hi

have you tried to tie your model with a soft "sring funcdation" that should do the job. Or you fix a few points or lines along X,Y,Z respectively with separate restrained displacement nodes, directio nby direction

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you tried to tie your model with a soft "sring funcdation" that should do the job. Or you fix a few points or lines along X,Y,Z respectively with separate restrained displacement nodes, directio nby direction -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 set 2012, 02:45 GMT-4
Hi,
Thanks for your rapid feedback. I have just tried using your second suggestion of fixing points to move only in certain directions. This seems to work fine for this simple case, but not so easy for a more complex closed shape.

I really think that I need to use the spring fundation, but I am using version 4.2 and I can't seem to find this anywhere??? Is this available in this version. Is it under a different name?
Hi, Thanks for your rapid feedback. I have just tried using your second suggestion of fixing points to move only in certain directions. This seems to work fine for this simple case, but not so easy for a more complex closed shape. I really think that I need to use the spring fundation, but I am using version 4.2 and I can't seem to find this anywhere??? Is this available in this version. Is it under a different name?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 set 2012, 09:52 GMT-4
Hi

I'm still on a business travel some 17'000 km from my workstation, so I cannot check, but I though that arrived in v4.2, (perhaps ...a) at least is should be a BC in v4.3

In the worst case you can mimic it by a weak expression with nthe spring force -k*u (resp v,w) where k is the spring force in N/m

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm still on a business travel some 17'000 km from my workstation, so I cannot check, but I though that arrived in v4.2, (perhaps ...a) at least is should be a BC in v4.3 In the worst case you can mimic it by a weak expression with nthe spring force -k*u (resp v,w) where k is the spring force in N/m -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.