Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Depth-dependent temperature as initial values

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am pretty new to COMSOL, so this is probably a noob question. But I did scour the internet looking for an answer before posting here.

I am running the 'heat transfer in solid' routine on a simple 2-D geometry. I want the the temperature of the geometry to increase with the Y-axis as my initial value. I have written a simple equation under global definitions to do this.

Let's say the equation called an1 is '20Y', so with every 1 unit of Y, I want the temperature to increase by 20 K. I can plot this under the global definition module and it looks fine.

My question is how do I use this as an initial value. I have defined the Y-extent of my geometry by the parameter 'Tc = 5[m]'. I have 'Temperature' as one of the boundary condition. Under Temperature -> User defined, I have the following equation an1(Tc[m]), but this does not calculate the depth-dependent temperature, but rather imposes a value of 20*5 = 100 K for the entire domain.

Any help is appreciated.

2 Replies Last Post 13 ott 2022, 17:28 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago 13 ott 2022, 15:57 GMT-4

You must call an1(Y), or something like T0 + an1(Y), if you do not want to start at T = 0 for Y = 0.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
You must call an1(Y), or something like T0 + an1(Y), if you do not want to start at T = 0 for Y = 0. Cheers Edgar

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 13 ott 2022, 17:28 GMT-4

Hello Lujendra,

One thing that's confusing me in your post is whether you want this termperature distribution to act as a boundary condition or an initial value. If you do want it to be an initial value, then you should not be entering it in a boundary condition - and vice versa. With that said, in a transient problem, you will need to make sure that initial values need to be consistent with boundary conditions.

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Lujendra, One thing that's confusing me in your post is whether you want this termperature distribution to act as a boundary condition or an initial value. If you do want it to be an initial value, then you should not be entering it in a boundary condition - and vice versa. With that said, in a transient problem, you will need to make sure that initial values need to be consistent with boundary conditions. Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.