Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to plot |E/E0|^2 in Electric field (emw)?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

in many papers, they plot electric field distribution as |E/E0|^2. I don't get what expression use for this plot. E expressed without components is the emw.normE? Or the sum of the three components (emw.Ex+emw.Ey+emw.Ez)?

E0 is the value in V/m you set for the exciting port? Or it is a vector? And in this case, which is its expression?

Thank you very much.

2 Replies Last Post 28 ott 2022, 09:23 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago 28 ott 2022, 08:50 GMT-4
Updated: 2 years ago 28 ott 2022, 08:57 GMT-4

It would help if you cited a particular paper or explained the particular context. Regardless, I can tell you that in any realistic context, E0 is not simply the sum of the individual components, since that would generally have no useful physical meaning. In a time domain context, people might use E0 to indicate an initial value (i.e., at t=0) of the magnitude of the field, or perhaps of an unlabeled vector component of the field. In frequency domain, E0 would typically be used to indicate the peak amplitude of the (single-frequency) sinusoidal oscillation being considered. Another good possibility is that E0 could refer to the field at a particular reference location or in a particular direction of a spatial or angular distribution of a field. Your expression then might refer to an intensity of (for example) light relative to the intensity somewhere else (such as, but not limited to, a distribution of light in a beam.) Since light intensity is proportional to E^2, I'll take a wild guess that this is your context. But it's just a wild guess. Anyway, if you cite or upload any particular one of the "many papers" to which you refer to this forum, I'm pretty sure that someone here will be able to tell you what the symbols mean within the context of that paper. Best regards.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
It would help if you cited a particular paper or explained the particular context. Regardless, I can tell you that in any realistic context, E0 is *not* simply the sum of the individual components, since that would generally have no useful physical meaning. In a time domain context, people might use E0 to indicate an initial value (i.e., at t=0) of the magnitude of the field, or perhaps of an unlabeled vector component of the field. In frequency domain, E0 would typically be used to indicate the peak amplitude of the (single-frequency) sinusoidal oscillation being considered. Another good possibility is that E0 could refer to the field at a particular reference location or in a particular direction of a spatial or angular distribution of a field. Your expression then might refer to an intensity of (for example) light relative to the intensity somewhere else (such as, but not limited to, a distribution of light in a beam.) Since light intensity is proportional to E^2, I'll take a wild guess that this is your context. But it's just a wild guess. Anyway, if you cite or upload any particular one of the "many papers" to which you refer to this forum, I'm pretty sure that someone here will be able to tell you what the symbols mean within the context of that paper. Best regards.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 28 ott 2022, 09:23 GMT-4

One important note: Please do not upload to this forum any paper. Even if you or your institution has purchased a license to a paper, this typically does not allow you to republish the paper, or us (COMSOL) to republish the paper. Therefore, as a moderator of this forum I will delete such files.

What you can do instead is provide a link to the paper on its publisher's website.

Thanks,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
One important note: Please do not upload to this forum any paper. Even if you or your institution has purchased a license to a paper, this typically does not allow you to republish the paper, or us (COMSOL) to republish the paper. Therefore, as a moderator of this forum I will delete such files. What you can do instead is provide a link to the paper on its publisher's website. Thanks, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.