Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am relatively new user of COMSOL multiphysics. I have a doubt in meshing. I want to do hexahedron meshing of 3D geometry. it is possible??

5 Replies Last Post 4 nov 2022, 02:24 GMT-4
Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 3 nov 2022, 03:13 GMT-4

Hi Supreeth,

Yes, you can (if your 3D geometry is suitable), by using a swept mesh based on a quadrilateral face mesh on the source face from which you create the swept mesh,

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Supreeth, Yes, you can (if your 3D geometry is suitable), by using a swept mesh based on a quadrilateral face mesh on the source face from which you create the swept mesh, Best regards, Magnus

Posted: 2 years ago 3 nov 2022, 05:33 GMT-4
Updated: 2 years ago 3 nov 2022, 05:33 GMT-4

Thank you for your suggestion, But However, I am not well versed with the option for hexahedral meshing. Since my design involves cylinder. I could not select quadrilateral face. And hence i would like to go to hexahedral mesh. Can you help me out with this. Also can mesh be imported from any other softwares.

Thank you for your suggestion, But However, I am not well versed with the option for hexahedral meshing. Since my design involves cylinder. I could not select quadrilateral face. And hence i would like to go to hexahedral mesh. Can you help me out with this. Also can mesh be imported from any other softwares.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 3 nov 2022, 08:37 GMT-4

Supreeth,

Magnus is saying you would mesh a face (that is not necessarily quadrilateral) with quadrilateral elements, and then sweep that. Please review Chapter 8 of the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual (accessed through File > Documentation). It contains many examples that you will find useful.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Supreeth, Magnus is saying you would mesh a face (that is not necessarily quadrilateral) with quadrilateral elements, and then sweep that. Please review Chapter 8 of the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual (accessed through File > Documentation). It contains many examples that you will find useful. Best regards, Jeff

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 3 nov 2022, 08:55 GMT-4

Hi Supreeth,

For a cylinder, choose one of the end faces as the source face, and then choose Quadrilateral (generate hexahedra) as the face meshing method. See the attached screenshot.

And yes, you can import meshes from NASTRAN, STL, VRML, sectionwise, PLY, and 3MF files.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Supreeth, For a cylinder, choose one of the end faces as the source face, and then choose **Quadrilateral (generate hexahedra)** as the face meshing method. See the attached screenshot. And yes, you can import meshes from NASTRAN, STL, VRML, sectionwise, PLY, and 3MF files. Best regards, Magnus

Posted: 2 years ago 4 nov 2022, 02:24 GMT-4
Updated: 2 years ago 4 nov 2022, 02:27 GMT-4

Thank you for suggestion. I have a doubt. I have four cylinders inside each other. The fourth cylinder is air body. And i dnt need it quad mesh for it. Is it possible for it to have tet elements??

Thank you for suggestion. I have a doubt. I have four cylinders inside each other. The fourth cylinder is air body. And i dnt need it quad mesh for it. Is it possible for it to have tet elements??

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.