Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

A doubt in the piezoelectric module involving mechanical simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I observed some interesting empirical observations where the thickness mode vibration of a PZT strip helps trigger a coupling motion to unscrew a nut from a long screw. This long screw is attached to a Mylar film which in turn is attached to the bottom of a rectangular piezoelectric strip. The bottom line is that using COMSOL i want to demonstrate the motion of the nut when it gets unscrewed. Is it possible? I want to give the voltage and frequency input to the piezoelectric strip and simulate the motion of the screw. Is it possible to involve mechanical elements like nut and screw in your model? Please let me know!

1 Reply Last Post 14 set 2012, 05:21 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 set 2012, 05:21 GMT-4
Hi,

principally I think COMSOL provides everything that is required for such a model. But it won't be easy. Nuts and screws are complex shapes and will need some effort to be modeled. Then the mechanical contact issues will be tricky. You will need a big computer.
If you are a beginner in COMSOL you should consider to start with simple models one physics aspect after the other and then combine it as you gain confidence. It will certainly be a very complex and tricky thing that will require all your attention for some time, nothing to be done aside.

Cheers
Edgar
Hi, principally I think COMSOL provides everything that is required for such a model. But it won't be easy. Nuts and screws are complex shapes and will need some effort to be modeled. Then the mechanical contact issues will be tricky. You will need a big computer. If you are a beginner in COMSOL you should consider to start with simple models one physics aspect after the other and then combine it as you gain confidence. It will certainly be a very complex and tricky thing that will require all your attention for some time, nothing to be done aside. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.