Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Finding maximum along a line

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi community,

in my model (2D, x- and y-positions) I need to know the x-position of the maximum temeperature on any fixed y-position during the calculation over the whole domain.

The problem is, that if I define the maxop1 operator for example over the whole domain, I get only the x-position of the global temperature by using maxop1(T,x).

In my oppinion I have to use some extrusion or projection coupling operators but I'm not sure how to do it in the right way.

Thanks for your replies,
Sincerely Thomas

5 Replies Last Post 20 set 2012, 04:43 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 set 2012, 12:47 GMT-4
I think you can get this kind of values by postprocess (result part). For example, you can set specific line or cross-shape in Data Sets based on your solution. After that you can show the magnitude of the values which you want to show by pictures. Then you can see the mark with different colour and the lowest and largest values.

Hope this will be useful for you!
I think you can get this kind of values by postprocess (result part). For example, you can set specific line or cross-shape in Data Sets based on your solution. After that you can show the magnitude of the values which you want to show by pictures. Then you can see the mark with different colour and the lowest and largest values. Hope this will be useful for you!

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 set 2012, 05:39 GMT-4
Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately I need these values during the calculation. So I have no access to any cross-shapes.

Maybe there are any other ideas...?
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I need these values during the calculation. So I have no access to any cross-shapes. Maybe there are any other ideas...?

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 set 2012, 05:49 GMT-4
You can get these values after you creat the points in the created cross-shape based on the solution. Such as: results part-Derived values........ You can try it.
You can get these values after you creat the points in the created cross-shape based on the solution. Such as: results part-Derived values........ You can try it.

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 set 2012, 06:00 GMT-4
Pleas correct me if I dont understand you in the right way but the problem for me is, that the solution itself depends on the positions of T_max (some temperature dependent material parameter).
That means if I take these values from cross-shapes based on the solution and solve the model again I will get another solution with other positions of T_max and so on. So in my oppinion these values have to be evaluated during calcualtion.

Or was something else meant?

Thanks for your replies.
Pleas correct me if I dont understand you in the right way but the problem for me is, that the solution itself depends on the positions of T_max (some temperature dependent material parameter). That means if I take these values from cross-shapes based on the solution and solve the model again I will get another solution with other positions of T_max and so on. So in my oppinion these values have to be evaluated during calcualtion. Or was something else meant? Thanks for your replies.

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 set 2012, 04:43 GMT-4
Hi, Thomas,

Perhaps you can do what you are saying by defining a simple boundary, the right line you need, and then defining the model coupling of Maximum at that line (boundary for COMSOL). You can acccess the maximum of T (or whatever variable you need), for instance as maxop1(T), at simulation time.

Luck,

Jesus.
Hi, Thomas, Perhaps you can do what you are saying by defining a simple boundary, the right line you need, and then defining the model coupling of Maximum at that line (boundary for COMSOL). You can acccess the maximum of T (or whatever variable you need), for instance as maxop1(T), at simulation time. Luck, Jesus.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.