Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how can I block EM fields from getting into a cube but allow them to get out of that?

Mohammadreza Barzegaran

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I need to have a closed region (like a cube) with a conducting domain inside the cube. but I don't want the field outside the region to get into the region. on the other hand, I need the conducting domain inside the cube to flow the field to outside the region. I tied electric shielding, magnetic insulation and conductive region with zero voltage; but, none of them worked. what should I do?

Regards,

6 Replies Last Post 3 ott 2012, 11:34 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 ott 2012, 14:41 GMT-4
it looks like what you try to model is not physical. Don't think It's possible to do it in COMSOL.
it looks like what you try to model is not physical. Don't think It's possible to do it in COMSOL.

Mohammadreza Barzegaran

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 ott 2012, 14:43 GMT-4
No dude. Its physical. I just one to block the field of other components from getting into a specific cube.
No dude. Its physical. I just one to block the field of other components from getting into a specific cube.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 ott 2012, 11:26 GMT-4
just a guess but maybe you can try something analogous to a diode where you have high conductivity in one direction but not another. a very high conductivity is like PEC and will suppress your E field only in that direction. maybe you can do something like a conductivity tensor and define each element.
just a guess but maybe you can try something analogous to a diode where you have high conductivity in one direction but not another. a very high conductivity is like PEC and will suppress your E field only in that direction. maybe you can do something like a conductivity tensor and define each element.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 ott 2012, 15:19 GMT-4
Hi

you might get around with the geometry assembly mode for your "block" and then define yourself the continuity, one way on the common boundaries.

But still it hurts my sense of "physicsl continuity" I'm used too, but you are not saying much abut what you are exactly modelling so perhaps it's still "physical" ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you might get around with the geometry assembly mode for your "block" and then define yourself the continuity, one way on the common boundaries. But still it hurts my sense of "physicsl continuity" I'm used too, but you are not saying much abut what you are exactly modelling so perhaps it's still "physical" ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 ott 2012, 07:38 GMT-4
Hello.

Perhaps I have not understood well, but if you are going to simulate a static or quasy-static regime and a perfect conductor is a good model for your conductor, you can simply exclude that domain from the physics. This way, COMSOL hasn't to compute the fields (E = 0, aproximately) inside the conductor and you can impose the simple boundary condition of fixed voltage for the external surface of the conductor.

Bye,

Jesus.
Hello. Perhaps I have not understood well, but if you are going to simulate a static or quasy-static regime and a perfect conductor is a good model for your conductor, you can simply exclude that domain from the physics. This way, COMSOL hasn't to compute the fields (E = 0, aproximately) inside the conductor and you can impose the simple boundary condition of fixed voltage for the external surface of the conductor. Bye, Jesus.

Mohammadreza Barzegaran

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 ott 2012, 11:34 GMT-4
thanks, I am now working on the ideas
thanks, I am now working on the ideas

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.