Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Nanoparticle heating with Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Fellas,

I am trying to model heating of metallic nanoparticles when exposed to Laser/Solar light with Heat Transfer module. I am new to comsol and I do not now how to model the incident light and its interaction with NPs in this module.
The NPs are confined in a nanochannel and the surrounding liquid is water.

Can anybody introduce a similar simulation?

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies Last Post 19 feb 2013, 09:29 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello SMHH

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 feb 2013, 13:42 GMT-5
Hi

I am also trying to solve the same, But have not succeed much. I am new to COMSOL. So, struggling a bit. I am trying to model heating of water using SPR effect of gold nanoparticle.
Hi I am also trying to solve the same, But have not succeed much. I am new to COMSOL. So, struggling a bit. I am trying to model heating of water using SPR effect of gold nanoparticle.

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 feb 2013, 09:29 GMT-5

Hi Fellas,

I am trying to model heating of metallic nanoparticles when exposed to Laser/Solar light with Heat Transfer module. I am new to comsol and I do not now how to model the incident light and its interaction with NPs in this module.
The NPs are confined in a nanochannel and the surrounding liquid is water.

Can anybody introduce a similar simulation?

Thanks in advance.

You need to solve heat transfer equation with heat source Q. You need to define Q source based on the optical properties of the particle. There are plenty examples of heat transfer models in the library, just follow one from scratch to get yourself familiar with Comsol.
[QUOTE] Hi Fellas, I am trying to model heating of metallic nanoparticles when exposed to Laser/Solar light with Heat Transfer module. I am new to comsol and I do not now how to model the incident light and its interaction with NPs in this module. The NPs are confined in a nanochannel and the surrounding liquid is water. Can anybody introduce a similar simulation? Thanks in advance. [/QUOTE] You need to solve heat transfer equation with heat source Q. You need to define Q source based on the optical properties of the particle. There are plenty examples of heat transfer models in the library, just follow one from scratch to get yourself familiar with Comsol.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.