Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Stress-strain analysis of a Conical spring on Comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am working on a conical spring using Solid Mechanics module in Comsol multiphyisics. Conical springs are caraterized for linear F vs D curve until it reaches the transition point. After the transition point the behaviour becomes non-linear. I have managed to setup parameteric equations for my study; I am doing a stationary study to investigate the non-linear behaviour of Force-axial deformation curve of a conical spring. I have a conical spring sandwitched between two flat plates. One of the plate is fixed and a force of the given magnitude is exterted on the other plate. I am using auxiliary sweep to add several force magnitudes in my study. The problem is that the Force displacement curve remains linear. I wonder what could be the reason? Here are some figures

2 Replies Last Post 22 feb 2023, 04:31 GMT-5
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 year ago 21 feb 2023, 12:27 GMT-5

Interesting question that might be answerable if you post a (reduced) model.

Interesting question that might be answerable if you post a (reduced) model.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 year ago 22 feb 2023, 04:31 GMT-5

Nine times out of ten, an unexpected linearity is caused by not having the Include geometric nonlinearity check box selected in the study.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Nine times out of ten, an unexpected linearity is caused by not having the *Include geometric nonlinearity* check box selected in the study.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.