Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Is an MEMS module the only way?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I am quite new to COMSOL, but I would like to use it for a cfd simulation.

I was just wondering about a problem I had with a simulation I would like to run. I would like to model a vibrating plate's effect on the surrounding fluid (Stoke's second problem), but after doing some research, I have concluded that using FSI within the MEMS module is the only way to accomplish what I want to do.

Because my school's computer doesn't have the MEMS module, would any more experienced users of COMSOL be able to tell me if my simulation is feasible without using the MEMS module?

Thank you for reading!

2 Replies Last Post 6 ott 2012, 16:40 GMT-4
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 ott 2012, 18:28 GMT-4
I believe you have a second option. FSI also comes with the Structural Mechanics Module.
I believe you have a second option. FSI also comes with the Structural Mechanics Module.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 ott 2012, 16:40 GMT-4
Hi

the only thing is that FSI does not allow for eigenfrequency solving, not even harmonic frequency domain !

A first approcimation of structure fluid interaction, assuming a large fluid volume and without any interest in the fluid part, is to load the common fluid-structure surface with an added mass from the fluid displaced, then additionally one might try to tweak some vicosity approximation in.
Another very nice way was propoed at the 2009 confrence in Milano, by A. Ricci, the description is in detail for 3.5 and can be fond on the main COMSOL web site conference papers

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the only thing is that FSI does not allow for eigenfrequency solving, not even harmonic frequency domain ! A first approcimation of structure fluid interaction, assuming a large fluid volume and without any interest in the fluid part, is to load the common fluid-structure surface with an added mass from the fluid displaced, then additionally one might try to tweak some vicosity approximation in. Another very nice way was propoed at the 2009 confrence in Milano, by A. Ricci, the description is in detail for 3.5 and can be fond on the main COMSOL web site conference papers -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.