Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Eigenvalue analysis " Mass matrix is zero"

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to run a Static Eigenvalue analysis of a structure . My model is a stone-building , so i just enter the properties of the material and the constraints . When i solve the problem appears the message "Mass matrix is zero " .

Does anyone know how i can fix it?

Thanks

13 Replies Last Post 21 lug 2016, 14:05 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 ott 2012, 10:46 GMT-4
Hi

recheck your boundary conditions, are you sure you have a single solution. And is your structure fixed somewhere ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi recheck your boundary conditions, are you sure you have a single solution. And is your structure fixed somewhere ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 ott 2012, 11:14 GMT-4
Hi , thanks for ansering my question .

My structure is fixed at the base .

When i am running a static eigenvalue analysis i have only to enter the boundary conditions and the properties of the material , right?
Hi , thanks for ansering my question . My structure is fixed at the base . When i am running a static eigenvalue analysis i have only to enter the boundary conditions and the properties of the material , right?

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 ott 2012, 13:30 GMT-4
Did you put the material densities? Zero values could cause that error.
Did you put the material densities? Zero values could cause that error.

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 ott 2012, 15:02 GMT-4
Yes of course ,
i have set all the material properties ,
density , poisson ratio and young modulus .

the steps i ve done are :
1. Start a Structure Mechanics 3D Static Analysis
2. Import my structure
3. Set all the material properties(E , v , p)
4. Create identity pairs .
5. Set the constraints ( base of my structure is fixed and also the boundaries of the identity pairs are fixed)
6.Mesh
7.Choose from the solver parameters eigenvalue solver .

Then when i sovle the problem appears "mass matrix is zero" .
Yes of course , i have set all the material properties , density , poisson ratio and young modulus . the steps i ve done are : 1. Start a Structure Mechanics 3D Static Analysis 2. Import my structure 3. Set all the material properties(E , v , p) 4. Create identity pairs . 5. Set the constraints ( base of my structure is fixed and also the boundaries of the identity pairs are fixed) 6.Mesh 7.Choose from the solver parameters eigenvalue solver . Then when i sovle the problem appears "mass matrix is zero" .

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 ott 2012, 15:26 GMT-4
It could be the way you select the eigenvalue solver (from the Solver parameters as you say). COMSOL may still be considering this a Static Analysis as you defined in Step 1. It’s best if you select the Eigenfrequency analysis directly from the Preset Studies (instead of Step 1). I hope that helps.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
It could be the way you select the eigenvalue solver (from the Solver parameters as you say). COMSOL may still be considering this a Static Analysis as you defined in Step 1. It’s best if you select the Eigenfrequency analysis directly from the Preset Studies (instead of Step 1). I hope that helps. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 ott 2012, 16:48 GMT-4
Hi
Or is it that you use nu = 0.5, if so try 0.49 or smaller

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Or is it that you use nu = 0.5, if so try 0.49 or smaller -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 ott 2012, 19:41 GMT-4
Thanks for reply ....

Yes that's true ,when i select eigenfreqiency analysis at the first step it runs fine without errors , but i am not sure if the results i take from this analysis are the same for static-eigen value analysis....

I need the results from eigenvalue analysis to run a dynamic analysis of a seismic load on my structure .

Thanks for reply .... Yes that's true ,when i select eigenfreqiency analysis at the first step it runs fine without errors , but i am not sure if the results i take from this analysis are the same for static-eigen value analysis.... I need the results from eigenvalue analysis to run a dynamic analysis of a seismic load on my structure .

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 ott 2012, 19:43 GMT-4
thank you but what is nu?
thank you but what is nu?

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 ott 2012, 01:42 GMT-4
Hi

for me nu, here, is the Poisson coefficient of the structural material, typically 0.3 in anycase 0<= nu < 0.5 (but COMSOL fails if you try nu=0.5 for obvious physical reasons.

As I had few clues to guess what it could be I send out some of the effects I have encountered previously on the Forum, not everyone reads carefully the doc before modelling ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi for me nu, here, is the Poisson coefficient of the structural material, typically 0.3 in anycase 0

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 apr 2013, 16:41 GMT-4
Hello Every one

Based on my background in Mechanical Engineering, the value of nu needs always to be less than 0.5, as Ivar stipulated before. Because in the Structural mechanics the expression "1-2*nu" shows up in the equations; and it needs to be positive, always. Whence, nu=<0.5 should be satisfied otherwise the basic equations fail!

Good Luck
Hello Every one Based on my background in Mechanical Engineering, the value of nu needs always to be less than 0.5, as Ivar stipulated before. Because in the Structural mechanics the expression "1-2*nu" shows up in the equations; and it needs to be positive, always. Whence, nu=

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 apr 2013, 10:43 GMT-4
Good points Vahid, Ivar,

For what it’s worth I have some comments on the perfectly incompressible case of Poisson’s ratio exactly equal to 0.5. The solid mechanics equations can theoretically still be solved in that case. A mixed formulation where there are pressure and displacement degrees of freedom is required, and the equations have to be recast in a way that does not have 1-2*nu in the denominator. I do not expect to see that in any commercial FEA code because it’s not useful/practical. I believe that is due to three reasons: (i) it’s not worth the hassle since nu=0.4999 works well with a mixed formulation, (ii) it involves zeros on the diagonals of the pressure degrees of freedom which solvers don’t like, and (iii) no real material is perfectly incompressible.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Good points Vahid, Ivar, For what it’s worth I have some comments on the perfectly incompressible case of Poisson’s ratio exactly equal to 0.5. The solid mechanics equations can theoretically still be solved in that case. A mixed formulation where there are pressure and displacement degrees of freedom is required, and the equations have to be recast in a way that does not have 1-2*nu in the denominator. I do not expect to see that in any commercial FEA code because it’s not useful/practical. I believe that is due to three reasons: (i) it’s not worth the hassle since nu=0.4999 works well with a mixed formulation, (ii) it involves zeros on the diagonals of the pressure degrees of freedom which solvers don’t like, and (iii) no real material is perfectly incompressible. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 apr 2013, 02:19 GMT-4
Hi,

It seems to like this thread (although old) is going slightly off topic. The mass matrix will not be affected by the elastic data.

It is not necessary to have any constraints at all in an eigenfrequency analysis, so we can also rule out the boundary conditions..

Having a zero mass matrix is rather odd. The only material property that enters the mass is the mass density. If it is non-zero and correctly assigned to the domains, this should not happen.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, It seems to like this thread (although old) is going slightly off topic. The mass matrix will not be affected by the elastic data. It is not necessary to have any constraints at all in an eigenfrequency analysis, so we can also rule out the boundary conditions.. Having a zero mass matrix is rather odd. The only material property that enters the mass is the mass density. If it is non-zero and correctly assigned to the domains, this should not happen. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 8 years ago 21 lug 2016, 14:05 GMT-4
Hello,

I have modeled a simple cylindrical tube using pressure acoustic, frequency domain study. I have tried to extract the state space matrices using MATLAB Livelink. The problem is the mass matrix turns to a Null matrix. I have used sound soft boundary condition for the outlet, Pressure boundary for the inlet, and the other boundaries are sound hard boundaries.

I will be really thankful if someone gives me some hints regarding solving my problem.

Kind regards,

Shahin Mohammadnejad
Hello, I have modeled a simple cylindrical tube using pressure acoustic, frequency domain study. I have tried to extract the state space matrices using MATLAB Livelink. The problem is the mass matrix turns to a Null matrix. I have used sound soft boundary condition for the outlet, Pressure boundary for the inlet, and the other boundaries are sound hard boundaries. I will be really thankful if someone gives me some hints regarding solving my problem. Kind regards, Shahin Mohammadnejad

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.