Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

CFD from stationary to time dipendent

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I built a model of pipe in axialsymmetric configuration, with internal laminar flow of water with pre-determinate velocity.
The water flow, during its pass, are heating by resistor, simulated as heat source with the total power put into the system.
I obtained a stationary solution, but now i want to study the evolution of system's temperature for three second when the velocity flow change suddenly to zero.

1 Reply Last Post 9 nov 2012, 01:44 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 nov 2012, 01:44 GMT-5
Hi

sounds like a reasonable demand, I would run your stationary case, thena add a second time stepping solver case and link it to the stationary and use that as "initial conditions, but turn "off" the flow velocity with a parameter or a bolean condition.

Note: in the stationary case the variable "t" for time is not defined, if you mix in som eformulas with "t" they would be flagged with an error for your stationary case. The easiest is to add a Parameter t = 0[s] and you could vrite for the inlet velocity Vin*(t[1/s]=0), this would hold for the statioanry case with t=0 from the Parameter, and would make the link to the time series as then t is defined by the solver variables, make t=range(0,0.1,1)*3 or something like that, but be sure the time steps are small enough to see your effect. The heat diffusion in water is low only some 0.15[mm^2/s] so you need 100 sec to travel 1.5 mm with your heat "flow"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi sounds like a reasonable demand, I would run your stationary case, thena add a second time stepping solver case and link it to the stationary and use that as "initial conditions, but turn "off" the flow velocity with a parameter or a bolean condition. Note: in the stationary case the variable "t" for time is not defined, if you mix in som eformulas with "t" they would be flagged with an error for your stationary case. The easiest is to add a Parameter t = 0[s] and you could vrite for the inlet velocity Vin*(t[1/s]=0), this would hold for the statioanry case with t=0 from the Parameter, and would make the link to the time series as then t is defined by the solver variables, make t=range(0,0.1,1)*3 or something like that, but be sure the time steps are small enough to see your effect. The heat diffusion in water is low only some 0.15[mm^2/s] so you need 100 sec to travel 1.5 mm with your heat "flow" -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.