Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Drawing A Spiral in 3D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi!!

how can i draw a spiral in 3D in COMSOL 3.5a ?

Regards,

5 Replies Last Post 27 feb 2013, 11:54 GMT-5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 nov 2012, 08:11 GMT-5
There are no tools to draw a spiral in version 3.5a. You can do it in the current version of the software, version 4.3a though.
There are no tools to draw a spiral in version 3.5a. You can do it in the current version of the software, version 4.3a though.

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 feb 2013, 12:10 GMT-5
how to draw a rectangular spiral in 3D in comsol 4.3a
how to draw a rectangular spiral in 3D in comsol 4.3a

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 feb 2013, 03:30 GMT-5
Hi

in 3.5 I do not believe its possible (cannot remember for sure ;) But in 4.3 you draw a workplane, the square (or better filleted square profile (if in ACDC to avoid singularities on the edges) then add a Helix with minor radius of "0" to get the spiral shape (adjust position accordingly to start in the middle of your square profile, then you use the sweep,

What I have always problems with then is the twist angle right ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in 3.5 I do not believe its possible (cannot remember for sure ;) But in 4.3 you draw a workplane, the square (or better filleted square profile (if in ACDC to avoid singularities on the edges) then add a Helix with minor radius of "0" to get the spiral shape (adjust position accordingly to start in the middle of your square profile, then you use the sweep, What I have always problems with then is the twist angle right ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 feb 2013, 08:29 GMT-5
Thanks for reply,I will try it
Thanks for reply,I will try it

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 feb 2013, 11:54 GMT-5
There IS an option to draw a spiral in 3.5a!

However, the catch is that this needs to be done in "comsol script" or matlab environment...

I think the command in comsol script is something like "helix3d" or something...

After drawing it in script, you can import the geometry back into comsol

Sorry I can't give more details because I haven't used 3.5a in years, but I know that back when I did use it I was able to successfully draw a helical coil for analysis!

--matt
There IS an option to draw a spiral in 3.5a! However, the catch is that this needs to be done in "comsol script" or matlab environment... I think the command in comsol script is something like "helix3d" or something... After drawing it in script, you can import the geometry back into comsol Sorry I can't give more details because I haven't used 3.5a in years, but I know that back when I did use it I was able to successfully draw a helical coil for analysis! --matt

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.