Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Display time-dependent solutions in units of years?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

How can I display (in a legend for a plot to be specific) my chosen solutions in different units than seconds? I am dealing with thousands of yeras, and a legend with entries like 9.46728e11 is not useful.

Thanks,
ben.

5 Replies Last Post 15 nov 2012, 02:08 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 nov 2012, 01:22 GMT-5
Hi

A very good question, back in 3.5a times there were a "time multiplier" I haven't found that in v4 yet
I'm also interested to know the tricks other have found for that, and what can COMSOL developers propose ?

I cannot accept rewrite all variables with a Derived Values entry, that is to many equations and click asked for the users ;)
Finally its a setting one could adjust in the time solver, as a unit multiplier and get it ported to the plots, or an option for the Results Plot group node as there too the expression of time is apparent but noted without units

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi A very good question, back in 3.5a times there were a "time multiplier" I haven't found that in v4 yet I'm also interested to know the tricks other have found for that, and what can COMSOL developers propose ? I cannot accept rewrite all variables with a Derived Values entry, that is to many equations and click asked for the users ;) Finally its a setting one could adjust in the time solver, as a unit multiplier and get it ported to the plots, or an option for the Results Plot group node as there too the expression of time is apparent but noted without units -- Good luck Ivar

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 nov 2012, 06:48 GMT-5
Hi,

Currently there is some support for displaying time in different units in a line plot: For the "x-Axis Data", instead of using Time explicitly from the Parameter list, choose Expression and type "t" for the time in the Expression text field. You can then select the time unit from the Unit list, including "d" and "a" for days and years, respectively.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, Currently there is some support for displaying time in different units in a line plot: For the "x-Axis Data", instead of using Time explicitly from the Parameter list, choose Expression and type "t" for the time in the Expression text field. You can then select the time unit from the Unit list, including "d" and "a" for days and years, respectively. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 nov 2012, 14:24 GMT-5
Hi Magnus

That works if we have the time in an horizontal axis, but we still are stuck in seconds for any time solver stepping results (when we point into the Data Set db's

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Magnus That works if we have the time in an horizontal axis, but we still are stuck in seconds for any time solver stepping results (when we point into the Data Set db's -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 nov 2012, 21:07 GMT-5
Thanks Ivar, that's exactly right.
My plot is depth vs temperature, but it is my solver time steps that I wish to modify.

All I can think is that I export the plot as an EPS, and modify it manually; OR export solution data and plot it in external software. Neither are particularly attractive, but will work.

Ben.
Thanks Ivar, that's exactly right. My plot is depth vs temperature, but it is my solver time steps that I wish to modify. All I can think is that I export the plot as an EPS, and modify it manually; OR export solution data and plot it in external software. Neither are particularly attractive, but will work. Ben.

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 nov 2012, 02:08 GMT-5
Hi
Or use the derived values and export vi cut & Paste, csv type files or to Excel

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Or use the derived values and export vi cut & Paste, csv type files or to Excel -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.