Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Current Source and violation of Maxwell-Ampère’s law

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have setup a model using both Electric Currents and distributed ODE and PDE interfaces using a simple 2D square geometry.

One boundary of the geometry is set as ground and another used to apply an external current density. I'm also injecting a current into the domain using the "Current Source" option. This current is formulated using a set of ODE equations.

The model solves but I am getting very large errors when validating the model using Kirchhoff's laws.

COMSOL's documentation state that the current source option should be used "with caution as it may violate the current conservation law that is inherent in Maxwell-Ampère’s law".

Has anybody had any similar experience using the Current Source? Did you observe any violations in Maxwell-Ampère’s law? If so how to work around this problem?

1 Reply Last Post 22 apr 2015, 17:41 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Amr Al Abed

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 22 apr 2015, 17:41 GMT-4
I'm experiencing a similar problem with the current source option. It's clearly violating current conservation in my model. I don't get why this is happening - no other constraints on the electric field or current density are applied - how could this violate current conservation?

James
I'm experiencing a similar problem with the current source option. It's clearly violating current conservation in my model. I don't get why this is happening - no other constraints on the electric field or current density are applied - how could this violate current conservation? James

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.